White Bean and Kale Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes (Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Medium
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and diced OR 4 parsnips, washed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-15oz can White Northern, Cannellini or other white bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 quart chicken, beef or vegetable stock plus 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 8oz kale, stems removed and chopped
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft.
- Add rutabaga or parsnips and garlic and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add beans, stock, water and seasonings and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped kale, cook another 10 minutes and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
- 230 Calories
- 3g Fat
- 0g Saturated Fat
- 45g Carbohydrate
- 11g Fiber
- 7g Protein
- 11%DV Calcium
- Sodium varies depending upon broth
- Excellent source of Vitamins A and C