Before and After Laser Therapy Information
Before your procedure
- You will need to have a driver the day of your procedure.
- Do not eat solid foods after midnight the night before your surgery.
- You are allowed clear liquids up until one hour before your procedure.
- Please take your other morning medications as directed.
- On the morning of your procedure, please take one Valium (5 mg) by mouth 1 hour before procedure.
Please bring the second dose of Valium with you to the procedure
- Your physician will prescribe a topical numbing cream (EMLA cream) to apply to the black markings and bulging veins, 2 – 3 hours before the scheduled procedure. Wrap your leg in plastic wrap to help the cream absorb better.
After your procedure
When recovering from your surgery it is important to be aware of the following:
- To prevent swelling, apply cool compresses for approximately 15 minutes every hour for the first 6 – 12 hours.
- Keep the treated area elevated for a few days after the procedure.
- Drink plenty of water for the first few days.
- To prevent a blood clot, please walk 5 – 10 minutes every hour while awake for the first few days after your procedure.
- Keep the skin clean. Wash the area gently using a mild soap. Avoid the use of abrasives, exfoliating sponges or exfoliating masks on the treated areas.
- To prevent infection, don't peel, pick, scrape, or scratch the skin.
- To control any pain, use analgesics such as Tylenol, Advil or aspirin for mild, lingering pain. For more severe pain, your doctor may prescribe pain medication.
- Avoid excessive physical activity for two weeks after your procedure.
- Avoid saunas, baths or swimming pools for two weeks after your procedure.
- Avoid flying or long car rides (longer than 45 minutes) for two weeks after your procedure.
- For best results, wear compression stockings during the day for the first two weeks after your procedure.
Please contact the nurse if you develop:
- A temperature of 100° F or greater
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Possible infection