Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders can be painful, causing stress and keeping you from your daily activities. At Henry Ford Health System, you’ll find an experienced team of specialists skilled in treating all types of GI disorders.
Gastrointestinal disorders we treat
GI disorders affect the entire digestive tract, from the mouth to the rectum, including organs such as the gallbladder, liver and pancreas. Some of the many conditions we treat include:
- Diverticulosis: Pouches that develop in the wall of the colon (large intestine)
- Enteritis: Inflammation of the small intestine
- Gallstones: Hardened deposits of cholesterol and other substances that block bile ducts, which can lead to liver and gallbladder disease. Learn more about our treatment for gallstones and gallbladder disease.
- Gastritis: Inflammation of the stomach lining
- Gastroparesis: Disorder that slows or stops food from moving from the stomach to the small intestine
- Irritable bowel syndrome: Disorder that causes varying symptoms including abdominal cramping or pain, diarrhea, constipation and changes in bowel patterns
- Peptic ulcer disease: Painful sores in the lining of the stomach and first part of the small intestine
Learn more about conditions and treatments for GI disorders at Henry Ford.
Diagnosis and treatment for gastrointestinal disorders at Henry Ford
If you have symptoms of a GI disorder, our experts start with testing to confirm a diagnosis. Our thorough diagnostic process includes:
- Physical exam
- Complete personal and family medical history
- Blood tests
Once we confirm a diagnosis of a gastrointestinal disorder, we then develop a treatment plan. Depending on your symptoms and condition, our treatment options include:
- Medical therapies: We can manage many GI disorders with over-the-counter or prescription medicines.
- Lifestyle changes: With some adjustments to your eating habits and stress reduction techniques such as counseling, you can minimize your symptoms of many GI disorders.
- Interventional therapies: Using minimally invasive procedures like endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), our specialists can diagnose and treat GI disorders to help you avoid surgery.
- Surgery: Some GI conditions such as gastrointestinal cancer, bowel obstruction and chronic diverticulitis may require surgery. You’re in expert hands with our surgeons.
Learn more about screenings and diagnosis for gastrointestinal disorders at Henry Ford.