Screenings and Diagnosis
At Henry Ford Health System, our expert staff provides high-quality care for all types of gastrointestinal disorders. We are focused on helping relieve your symptoms through superior care. Our approach for comprehensive treatment starts with the latest, most advanced diagnostic technologies. You can count on our expertise to determine a precise diagnosis to guide our personalized treatment plans for you.
Symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders
Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders can affect all areas of the digestive tract and can have a variety of symptoms, including:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal bloating
- Unexplained weight loss
- Excessive belching or gas
- Nausea and vomiting
Diagnostic tests for gastrointestinal disorders at Henry Ford
At Henry Ford, you have access to a wide range of the latest diagnostic procedures. Our experts thoroughly evaluate any symptoms that you may have, so that we can begin the right treatment as soon as possible. Depending on your symptoms and medical history, we may recommend one of more of the following tests:
- Physical exam
- Blood and stool test: Test that provides information to help our physicians pinpoint various disorders.
- Barium enema: An X-ray image of your large intestine, using barium, a contrast material to highlight specific areas.
- Computed tomography: Cross-section X-ray images that provide detailed images inside of your body.
- Colonoscopy: A procedure that uses an endoscope (thin, flexible tube with a camera at the end) to examine the large intestine and rectum. Depending on your medical history and overall health, you may be able to have open access colonoscopy.
- Sigmoidoscopy: An endoscopic procedure, similar to a colonoscopy, that examines only the rectum and lower colon.
- Ultrasound: Imaging test that uses sound waves to produce images of the GI tract.
- Endoscopy: Procedures that use a thin, flexible tube with a camera and tiny instruments to examine and sometimes treat disorders in the digestive tract.
Learn more about conditions and treatments for gastrointestinal disorders.