When you have a pacemaker, it’s important for experts to check your device from time to time to make sure it’s meeting your needs.
Henry Ford Pacemaker Clinic
After recovering from implant surgery, your doctor will ask you to visit our Pacemaker Clinic. On your first visit, nurse practitioners with specialized training in implantable devices will:
- Test your device to see if it is working properly
- Adjust your device’s setting to make sure it’s meeting your needs
- Answer any questions you may have
After your first visit, your doctor will let you know how often you need to come back. These visits do not take long. In fact, we can complete your checkup in as little as 15 minutes.
During these visits, our specialists will:
- Check your device’s batteries and electrical functions
- Use a special computer to read information stored in your device that lets us know how hard the device is working to regulate your heartbeat
- Adjust your device’s settings, if needed
Expert pacemaker care in southeast Michigan
If you are coming to Henry Ford from outside the metro Detroit area you can receive follow up care from your doctors at home:
- Our team of electrophysiologists is happy to consult with cardiologists in your community. In fact, we regularly train doctors and nurses in rural areas who care for patients with pacemakers.
- Using a special device and a regular phone line, you can send information from your pacemaker to our clinic for review. If we detect any problems, we contact your doctor so you can get the care you need.
Whether you receive follow up care from Henry Ford or your local care team, we closely track which device you are using. We’ll contact you or your cardiologist in the event we need to make any special updates or adjustments.
In addition to pacemaker checkups, you may also need a yearly office visit for:
- Chest X-rays to check the wires connecting the device to your heart (lead system)
- A comprehensive exam with a cardiologist