AT&T Computer Training Lab
Teaching the visually impaired and blind basic keyboarding and computer skills.
The Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology maintains a computer training lab – provided initially by a grant from the AT&T Foundation – featuring three computer stations that use talking and/or large print software.
Computer training courses
Classes are offered to any visually impaired or blind individual in the metro Detroit area. In addition:
- Classes usually begin in the fall
- There is no cost to attend one of the classes
- However, the DIO does require a $25 deposit that is refunded following attendance and completion of the coursework
- Classes are offered on a first-come, first-served basis
- The classes are taught by Cathy McAdam, ACSW, a career development and access technology consultant who is also blind
- For those who are not able to provide their own transportation to the classes, the DIO and Friends of Vision may be able to provide a volunteer driver