iLASIK (Bladeless LASIK)
What is iLASIK?
Like traditional LASIK, iLASIK is a refractive surgery that uses a laser to reshape your cornea. However, bladeless LASIK offers several advantages over traditional LASIK:
- Completely bladeless: Traditional LASIK uses a bladed instrument known as a microkeratome to create a flap in the outer layer of your cornea. With bladeless LASIK, this step is performed by a laser that offers greater precision.
- Personalized vision correction: iLASIK offers a truly custom approach. Every step of the process is designed around the unique characteristics of your eyes, encouraging the best possible outcome.
- Greater application: iLASIK can correct a larger range of refractive errors, offering new hope even for people who have been told in the past that they aren’t eligible for laser vision correction.
What happens during bladeless LASIK surgery?
During iLASIK, your Henry Ford surgeon:
- Creates a flap of corneal tissue with a laser. This flap is then folded out of the way.
- Uses a laser to reshape the cornea, allowing light rays to focus more precisely on the retina.
- Repositions the corneal flap, which acts as a natural bandage and aids in the improvement of one’s vision and rate of recovery.
What happens after iLASIK surgery?
In general, bladeless LASIK surgery is not painful. Some patients report feeling mild pressure or vibration during the procedure. After iLASIK surgery:
- You may feel eye irritation for a few hours.
- Most patients can return to work the day after bladeless LASIK surgery.
- Most people can see better within seconds after the procedure and have good vision within a day or two after iLASIK surgery.
- However, your vision may not reach its best level until a few weeks after iLASIK surgery.
iLASIK and other refractive surgeries
Bladeless LASIK is not right for everyone. Your Henry Ford ophthalmologist can discuss whether iLASIK, traditional LASIK or other forms of refractive surgery − including PRK or refractive lens exchange − is right for you.
In an effort to make vision surgery accessible to more people, Henry Ford offers several financing options for you and your family. This includes accepting the CareCredit® credit card, which may be used to pay for laser cataract surgery.
Eye refractive surgery experts
Henry Ford Ophthalmology is a leader in refractive surgery, using the latest in refractive technology to correct refractive errors. Our expert surgeons will complete a thorough evaluation of your eyes and recommend the procedure we feel is safest and best for your eyes. You can also learn more about laser vision correction by reading our FAQs.
At Henry Ford, patients come first. The Henry Ford Department of Ophthalmology is committed to providing our patients with compassionate, personalized care. We feature the most advanced treatments in eye care and are dedicated to vision research – always staying at the forefront of innovation. A leader in Michigan, as well as one of the largest ophthalmology practices in the United States, we treat more than 55,000 patients per year at 12 locations throughout southeast Michigan. In addition, our team works closely with Henry Ford Medical Group physicians in other departments, providing multidisciplinary, coordinated care for those patients who need it.