Dialysis Catheter Placement
A Catheter Placement in which a narrow plastic tube is inserted into a large vein in the neck/chest for dialysis treatment.
- You will lie on your back.
- An intravenous (IV) line is started to give you fluids and medications. You will be given medication through the IV to help you relax.
- You will be attached to a heart monitor and blood pressure cuff.
- The skin over the site is cleaned. A local anesthetic is applied to numb the skin.
- You will stay a minimum of two hours post procedure.
- You must have a ride home.
- Schedule an interview with a radiologist two days prior to the exam. You will also need blood work (PT/PTT, CBC with Diff) at that time.
- Bring a prescription from your doctor to your interview.
- Consume nothing by mouth after midnight the night before your procedure.
- Bring a list of your current medications.
- You will stay one to three hours post procedure for recovery.