Percutaneous Nephrostomy (Exchange only)
A procedure that replaces a pre-existing tube that drains the urine from the kidney to prevent pain, infection, and kidney damage. The procedure is done by a specially trained doctor called an interventional radiologist.
- You will lie on your stomach.
- The skin over the site is cleaned. A local anesthetic is applied to numb the skin.
- Bring a prescription from your physician.
- Nothing by mouth after midnight the night before your procedure.
- If you are currently taking coumadin, aspirin (blood thinner), you need to stop it 5 days prior to exam and inform your physician.
- Please bring a list of your current medications.