This test is used for accessing the spinal canal for different diagnosis and treatments.
- X-rays of your spine will be taken.
- Your lower back will be cleaned, covered with drapes and injected with a numbing medication.
- A needle will be inserted into your spinal canal and a small amount of spinal fluid may be withdrawn.
- Additional x-rays could be taken.
- Additional testing may follow.
- The procedure itself takes about one hour.
- Arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment with a prescription from your doctor.
- You will need blood work (PT/PTT) prior to your test.
- Bring a list of your current medications.
- If you are currently taking any blood thinner (Coumadin, Aspirin, Lovenox, Plavix), you need to stop it four to five days prior to exam and inform your doctor.
- Verify that ordering doctor wants radiologist to perform exam.