Read the latest items in our blog.
Yoga is an ancient practice that stresses harmony between the body, mind and spirit. It includes specific poses combined with breath control and guided meditation. Yoga can be used to reduce stress, increase relaxation and self-awareness, build muscle strength and tone, increase flexibility and promote overall wellbeing.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga has been shown to help calm the nervous system, which reduces stress and promotes overall wellbeing. It improves the mind-body connection and can help people of all ages and fitness levels manage a wide range of health conditions, including:
- Back and joint pain
- Movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s Disease
- Side effects of cancer treatment
- Menopause symptoms
- Stress and anxiety
- Multiple sclerosis
- Sleep problems
- Sports injuries
You should talk to your doctor before practicing yoga or any new exercise routine to make sure it’s right for you.
Types of Yoga
Although there are more than 100 different forms of yoga, most combine strengthening and stretching poses with deep breathing and guided meditation. At the Henry Ford Center for Integrative Medicine, our experts can help you find the right class for you.
We offer the following types of yoga:
- Hatha Yoga combines a series of basic movements with breathing techniques
- Yin Yoga is a slow-paced, meditative style where the poses are held for longer periods of time with the aim of increasing circulation in the joints and improving flexibility.
- Chair Yoga is a gentle form of yoga that is practiced sitting on a chair, or standing using a chair for support.
- Restorative Yoga is a type focuses on the relaxation aspect of yoga and does not use active postures
- Vinyasa Yoga uses a series of poses that flow smoothly into one another
- Iyengar Yoga uses props like blocks, straps, and chairs to help you move your body into the proper alignment
- Ashtanga Yoga is a series of poses combined with a special breathing techniques
- Power Yoga is a faster, higher-intensity practice that builds muscle
All of our yoga classes will accommodate beginners no matter what style, unless noted on the schedule as an advanced class. Meet our instructors.
Yoga is offered at the Henry Ford Center for Integrative Medicine in Dearborn. All classes are $12 each. Package discounts available.
To register for a class, download the MINDBODY wellness app and search for “Henry Ford Integrative Medicine” in Dearborn. Walk-ins welcome!
Questions? Call (833) 246-4347 for more information.