Because there is no one else like you.
Functional medicine is a patient-centered approach to individualized medical care that focuses on the whole person. By examining your entire life and complete medical history, we find underlying causes that may be contributing to health problems or chronic disease, such as nutritional issues, stress levels, hormonal imbalance, environmental influences and genetics. Functional medicine looks for the root cause of disease by examining how all the systems of the body work together.
Why choose functional medicine?
When your body’s biological systems become out of balance, chronic disease may follow. Functional medicine seeks to restore and rejuvenate the body’s optimal functions that have been metabolically disrupted by aging, lifestyle, diet, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation, autoimmune diseases or cancer. Some hallmarks of functional medicine include:
- Evidence-based medicine. Functional medicine uses the latest medical science and research to guide diagnosis and treatment decisions.
- Individualized health assessment. Functional medicine doctors use specialized tests to gain a better understanding of your body’s metabolic functions. These tests may include a comprehensive stool analysis, urine metabolite testing, saliva and hormone assessment, and serum analysis.
- A comprehensive health study. You are the greatest resource for your personal health. That’s why your doctor will listen to your complete health history, including discussing symptoms pertaining to digestive health, autoimmunity and chronic inflammation, hormonal imbalances, food allergies or sensitivities, genetic influences, and physical and social environmental factors.
- A focus on quality of life. Functional medicine focuses on the whole person – mind, body and spirit – to guide the body to an optimal state of well-being.
- Applies to any condition. Functional medicine physicians work closely with all medical specialties and any medical condition. Functional medicine also applies to patients of any age with chronic conditions or those seeking generalized wellness and healthy aging.
Coordinated care at Henry Ford
At Henry Ford, our patients are at the center of all we do. The functional medicine program at the Henry Ford Center for Integrative Medicine is led by M. Elizabeth Swenor, D.O. at our Northville location. Dr. Swenor and her care team work closely with other medical specialists to provide streamlined, coordinated care for all patients. When needed, we refer you to specialists and collaborate with other Henry Ford departments to ensure all medical concerns are addressed.
Is functional medicine covered by insurance?
Like other specialties at Henry Ford, the functional medicine program participates with all Henry Ford Health System accepted insurances and will bill your insurance company directly. Coverage of your functional medicine visits and specialized testing will depend on your individual health plan and coverage. We recommend checking with your health insurance company to determine what is covered under your plan prior to any office visit, testing or lab procedure. Specialized functional medicine tests and supplements are not covered by most insurance plans. Depending on your health plan, you may be able to use your flexible spending (FSA) or health spending (HSA) accounts for some of the costs. Our billing specialist is available to answer any questions you may have and can be reached by calling (248) 380-6201.