Find an Integrative Medicine Doctor at Henry Ford Health System.
Massage therapy is often used to relieve pain; rehabilitate sports injuries; reduce stress and anxiety; and increase relaxation. There are more than 80 different styles of massage therapy featuring a wide variety of pressures, movements and techniques. These all involve pressing, rubbing or manipulating muscles and other soft tissues with hands and fingers. Sometimes, even forearms and elbows are used.
The most popular types of massage therapy include:
- Deep tissue massage: Deep-tissue massage is a specific type of massage therapy that concentrates on the deep layers of muscle and fascia in the body. Massage therapists use deep finger pressure and slow, firm strokes. Deep tissue massage is used to treat a variety of physical ailments.
- Swedish massage: Swedish Massage is the most common and best known type of massage. It involves long, fluid strokes of muscles and tissues with pressure that varies from light to medium to firm.
- Reflexology: Alternative medicine involving application of pressure to the feet and hands with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. It is based on a system of zones and reflex areas that purportedly reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands, with the premise that such work effects a physical change to the body.
- Trigger-point massage: Trigger point massage therapy is specifically designed to alleviate the source of the pain through cycles of isolated pressure and release. In this type of massage for trigger point therapy, the recipient actively participates through deep breathing as well as identifying the exact location and intensity of the discomfort.
Make an appointment
Schedule your 30, 60 or 90 minute massage at one of our three locations in Novi, Grosse Pointe and Detroit. Call today.Henry Ford Medical Center - Novi
40000 West 8 Mile Road
Northville, MI 48167
(Enter off Orchard Hill Place)
(248) 380-6201 Henry Ford Quick Care Clinic
1515 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, Michigan 48226
(313) 324-8177 Henry Ford Medical Center- Cottage
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236