Kidney Transplant Outcomes
Our 1- and 3-year survival rates for kidney recipients meet or exceed expected results. Our 1- and 3-year graft survival rates (which indicate whether a transplanted kidney is working) are also excellent.
The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) tracks outcomes for all U.S. transplant centers, including Henry Ford Transplant Institute.
Thanks to our active living donor kidney transplant program, you may receive a transplant within 1 to 2 months. The average wait for a kidney from a deceased donor at Henry Ford is 36 months, roughly half the national average (70 months).
At a Glance
- First transplant: 01/04/68
- Transplants performed in 2016: 134
- deceased donor: 94
- living donor: 40
- Total number of program transplants through 2016: 3,219
- deceased donor: 2130
- living donor: 1089
- Received Medicare approval: 01/01/77
- Median time to transplant<: 43.1 months
- Transplant rate~: .22 (expected .18, national .18) statistically higher than expected
- Waitlist mortality~: .059 (expected .053, national .055) not significantly different