What to expect at your first appointment
We will spend several hours with you to explain your diagnosis, review your treatment plan, and answer your questions. Please bring a family member, friend, or caregiver with you because you will learn a lot of important information.
At the appointment, you will:
- Meet your nurse navigator
- Meet with your team of doctors
- Learn about your disease and treatment options
- Get answers to your questions
- Schedule additional tests or appointments
- Connect with support group resources
Compassion care from treatment through survivorship
Advanced treatment options for thoracic cancers range from minimally invasive robot-assisted surgeries to combined therapies.
Your team of doctors will collaborate on your case during our weekly tumor board meeting. Specialists from many fields share their expertise to design the most effective treatment plan for you. Our tumor board includes:
- Medical oncologists (doctors who provide chemotherapy)
- Radiation oncologists
- Nutritionists and social workers
- Clinical trials nurses who evaluate each patient for trial eligibility
The nurse navigator is your point of contact throughout treatment. This nurse will help you schedule appointments and answer questions and help you find additional support services, including therapies to help you manage your symptoms.
During and after treatment, attending support groups can help patients and families learn more about their cancer and connect with people who understand what they’re going through. After treatment, we offer a Survivorship Workshop Series to provide support and education for patients and families.