Neurodegenerative Disease Evaluation and Treatment
Neurodegenerative diseases are typically with you for life. You can count on the team at Henry Ford Health to be there for you throughout your health journey. You receive complete care, including diagnosis, treatment and support, from our trusted experts. We hold ourselves to the highest care standards — earning national recognition for many of our programs.
Our neurodegenerative disease programs
Henry Ford is home to respected neurodegenerative disease programs that draw patients from all over Michigan.
We deliver comprehensive care for:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): We are among select centers nationwide delivering the highest level of ALS care. Find out more about the Harry J. Hoenselaar ALS Clinic.
- Memory disorders: We use a team approach to address the many ways Alzheimer’s disease can affect your physical and mental well-being. Read more about our memory clinic.
- Multiple sclerosis: We were the first center in Michigan recognized by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Get more information about our Center for Comprehensive MS Care.
- Myasthenia gravis: Our ability to consistently relieve symptoms and complications has earned recognition from the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America. Learn more about our myasthenia gravis clinic.
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH): We are among the few programs in Michigan using a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to ensure appropriate care for normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH).
Comprehensive care for neurodegenerative diseases
Whether you already have a diagnosis or just started experiencing symptoms, we offer more of the services you need. Our team helps you get answers to important questions about your future health and offers personalized therapies to preserve it.
Comprehensive neurodegenerative disease care includes:
- Thorough evaluation: You receive care from highly skilled neurologists specializing in neurodegenerative disease. We take time to get to know you as a person and listen carefully as you describe your symptoms. This information helps us determine which tests are necessary to confirm your diagnosis.
- Accurate diagnosis: Coming to an experienced neurodegenerative disease program such as ours means you receive precise care, starting with an accurate diagnosis. Our experts consider all possible causes of your symptoms. And we offer advanced testing, including single-fiber nerve testing of muscle weakness in our electromyogram (EMG) lab.
- Advanced therapies: We provide a broad range of treatments, including the latest medications for multiple sclerosis and dementia. If these therapies do not bring relief, you have other options. For abnormally tight muscles, you might benefit from baclofen pump therapy.
- Support: Our compassionate approach includes services that give you peace of mind. Nurses and social workers provide emotional support and solutions to challenges that could get in the way of your care. Older adults whose symptoms include behavioral problems receive specialized services from our geriatric psychiatry experts.
Advancing neurodegenerative disease care through research
Our experts have been active contributors to scientific knowledge about neurodegenerative disease for decades. These efforts are furthering our understanding of what causes these conditions and how best to treat them. You may be eligible to take part in the latest research efforts through clinical trials.