With construction of the Henry Ford Detroit Pistons Performance Center under way, we are chronicling the progress along the way.
The center is being built on a parcel of owned by Henry Ford. Scheduled to open in the summer of 2019, the training, sports medicine and rehabilitation complex will be a trendsetting, modern facility located at the intersection of Second Avenue and Amsterdam Street in Detroit’s New Center Area, just blocks from Henry Ford Hospital and about two miles north of Little Caesars Arena, the Pistons home court. It will house:
- A 175,000-square-foot training facility and corporate headquarters for the Pistons.
- A comprehensive sports medicine, treatment and rehabilitation facility managed by Henry Ford.
- Pistons Academy basketball program.
- Fitness, health and nutrition programs through the Pistons Fit and NBA Fit Week.
- Public space for Pistons events, networking receptions and community activities.
- Private and public parking structure for both Pistons and Henry Ford personnel.
“As a training facility, this will give us an edge, providing our players with the most advanced technology available to maximize their performance,” says Pistons owner Tom Gores. “But when you look at the whole development and the unique partnership with Henry Ford, it’s so much more. We are bringing more jobs into the city and creating another catalyst for additional investment. It will be another cornerstone in the revitalization of this community.”
“We are honored to become the official healthcare provider for the Detroit Pistons and partner with them on this wonderful investment in our community,” says Henry Ford’s President and CEO Wright L. Lassiter III. “Whether it’s a professional athlete, or, any of our patients, we know how vital it is to treat the whole person, and that’s what makes our ‘team medicine’ approach so unique.”
Development and Construction Team
- ROSSETTI, an internationally-renowned Detroit-based architecture-engineering firm, is the leading architect on the project.
- Detroit-based Platform is the development manager.
- Detroit-based The Christman Company and L.S. Brinker Co. are the construction managers.
Latest Construction Update
- Building is now on permanent power from DTE.
- Installation of the windows are complete.
- Elevators installation has begun.
- 1st coat painting is complete on all floors.
- Simi, X-ray, and MRI to be delivered in late August.
- The roof installation for the sports medicine complex began in April and will be completed in early May.
- Installation of windows will begin in May.
- Installation of elevators has begun and will complete by the end of July.
- Both the sports medicine complex and parking structure are expected to be completed in September. The Pistons Performance Center is expected to be completed in October.
- Detroit Pistons and Henry Ford Health System Break Ground on State of the Art Training, Rehabilitation, and Sports Medicine Complex
- Team Physicians Announced for Detroit Pistons
- Detroit Pistons and Henry Ford Health System Announce State-Of-The-Art Training, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Complex