Comprehensive Spine Program
At our spine program, we deliver the most effective care by relying on the training and expertise of multiple specialists, which is why collaboration remains a key focus. Our physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians work very closely with our neurosurgery and orthopedic teams, as well as pain management experts and other Henry Ford specialists. With our innovative approach, we can better triage spine cases and provide the most effective, personalized treatment for your patients.
Treatment for the most complex conditions
The spine specialists at our tertiary care center have experience with a wide range of back- and spine-related conditions and treatments. This includes back injuries, disc problems, sciatica, scoliosis, spine pain therapy, spine surgery and minimally invasive spine procedures.
The leaders in spine treatment
- Minimally invasive surgery: We were the first in Michigan to perform minimally invasive spine surgery techniques.
- 360-degree approach: We offer minimally invasive surgery from the back, side and front, allowing us to customize the procedure to best meet your patient’s treatment needs.
- MAST: Our minimal access spine technology (MAST) spine program provides the most comprehensive care in a minimally invasive manner.
- Spinal ablation: Our neurosurgery team was the first in Michigan and the second in the world to complete a groundbreaking, minimally invasive laser spinal ablation procedure.
- Spine tumors: We offer complex spinal surgery and surgery for primary and metastatic tumors of the spine and spinal cord. In addition, we are a study center for tumors metastatic to the spine.
- Trauma: We are a member of the American Brain Injury Consortium for novel treatment of traumatic head injury.
- ICU: Our multidisciplinary ICU staff is experienced in handling the most complex cases, from revision surgery for failed back surgery, to infections, to surgery for primary and metastatic tumors.
- Advanced technology: Our spine program offers the latest surgical technology, including robotic spine surgical equipment, intraoperative CT and patient-specific implants for deformities.
- Comprehensive pain care: Our Pain Management team provides both diagnostic and therapeutic care, including helping determine what’s causing the pain, offering spinal cord stimulation and other interventional modalities, and assisting with transitioning patients off of opioids and other narcotics.
- MSSIC: Since 2013, Henry Ford has served as Coordinating Center for the Michigan Spine Surgery Improvement Collaborative, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan initiative. This quality improvement collaborative involving hospitals, orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons seeks to measure and improve the care and outcomes of patients who undergo spine surgery.
- Research: Our team remains active in several areas of complex spine research, including spine tumors.