Our health system thrives in a constantly changing environment that provides countless volunteer opportunities for you to use your skills or learn new ones. The Volunteers of Henry Ford Allegiance Health support more than 80 of our service areas and are an important fundraising source for special equipment and projects.
At Henry Ford Allegiance Health, volunteers operate the Lobby Gift Shop, one of the largest hospital-based gift shops in Michigan. Their work ranges from stocking and pricing to merchandising and cashiering. Profits from the Lobby Gift Shop are combined with proceeds from the Pink Ball, our annual gala, and Lights of Love, our holiday celebration. Nearly $200,000 is raised by our volunteers every year to benefit patient care through a gift to the Henry Ford Allegiance Health Foundation.
On a daily basis, the important work of our volunteers is seen and felt throughout our health system. While availability in specific areas will vary, volunteer opportunities include the following.
- Greeting and escorting patients and families
- Assisting in the Lobby Gift Shop or Common Grounds coffee shop
- Helping with special fundraising sales throughout the year
- Supporting business office staff
- Driving courtesy vans and golf carts
- Visiting patients
- Working on special events and projects
- Creating greeting cards for patients
Volunteering for Hospice
Volunteers are part of the Hospice team that cares for patients at the end of life, and their families, by providing companionship, emotional support, or help with errands and household tasks. Hospice volunteers learn about the Henry Ford Allegiance Hospice Program through a comprehensive training course that is offered free of charge and does not obligate participants to become volunteers.
At the completion of training, participants may choose an available position that best meets their interests and skills. Opportunities include the following:
- Patient home visits – Providing companionship, emotional support or help with errands or light housework
- Help at Henry Ford Allegiance Hospice Home – Working at the reception desk or visiting with patients
- Office work – Helping with mailings, computer work, phone calling, copying, or preparations for special events and fundraisers
- Grief support – Assisting with grief support groups and events or providing emotional support for individuals and families grieving the loss of a loved one
You can choose to volunteer for a single event, or as often as you like. Because of the specific training required, Hospice volunteer activities are managed separately from our Volunteer Services Department. To receive more information, or to become a Hospice volunteer, please contact our Hospice Volunteer Coordinator at (517) 205-6982 or toll free at (888) 821-3256.
Summer Youth Volunteer Program
This volunteer program is designed for students who have completed at least one year of high school. The purpose of the program is to empower teens with leadership and communication skills and provide them with exposure to the hospital environment, while they contribute to the community.