Board Certification and Education
- Univ. of Buenos Aires Sch. of Med., Physiology, 2012
- Henry Ford Hospital, Hyper/Vas Research, MI, 2016
- Assistant Scientist, Henry Ford Hospital/Hypertension and Vascular Research Division
- Assistant Professor (FTA), Wayne State University/Department of Physiology
Our long-term research interests involve a comprehensive understanding on the role of the kidney on blood pressure regulation and hypertension. My academic training provided me with an excellent background in renal physiology, cell biology and biochemistry with a focus on hypertension. More specifically, I have been studying the molecular mechanism and factors that regulates transport of solutes in the kidney for 14 years.
Our laboratory focuses on the molecular mechanisms involved in the regulation of salt reabsorption by the kidney in normal animals and in genetic models of hypertension. The general hypothesis we are pursuing is that defects in protein regulation enhances NaCl reabsorption contributing to the development of hypertension. A novel E3 ubiquitin ligase adaptor was identified as a novel locus for blood pressure regulation in a genome-wide association study in patients. In alignment with this finding, we observe that renal transporters ubiquitination is absent in these novel E3 ubiquitin ligase adaptor-KO mice. We aim to understand how this novel E3 ubiquitin ligase adaptor works and its role in the development of hypertension.
Awards & Honors
- Research Recognition Award, American Physiological Society Renal Section, Experimental Biology (2020)
- Meritorious Research Award. American Physiological Society, Epithelial Transport Group. Experimental Biology (2017)
- Research Distinction Award. The American Physiological Society Water and Electrolyte Homeostasis. (2015)
- MWA Winter 2014 Postdoctoral Fellowship (07/01/2014-01/01/2016). Funded by American Heart Association. (2014-2016)
- Post-Doctoral Excellence in Research Award-Finalist. American Physiological Society. Experimental Biology (2014)
Videos And Article
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital