- American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
- University College London Medical School, 2007
Residencies & Internships
- Ascension Providence Hospital, Internal Medicine, MI, 2017
- University College London, Internal Medicine, 2011
- Mayo Clinic - Rochester, Endocrinology/Metabo, MN, 2020
“I am committed to empowering patients with knowledge about their condition, addressing their concerns and working together to formulate a treatment plan that is successful."
Dr. Shobana Athimulam is an assistant professor in medicine and senior staff physician in the division of endocrinology at Henry Ford Hospital. She obtained her initial medical training in London, UK and obtained her membership to the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) in 2010. She completed a one-year clinical research fellowship within the neuroendocrine tumor unit in Royal Free Hospital, London, UK in 2011. Following her move to USA in 2013, she completed her internal medicine residency at Providence Hospital (Michigan State University) and her endocrinology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
Dr. Athimulam's clinical focus is on adrenal gland disorders (e.g., primary aldosteronism, pheochromocytoma, incidentally discovered adrenal masses) and pituitary gland disorders (e.g., pituitary tumors). She has worked on several clinical and translational research projects focusing on adrenal and pituitary tumors, abnormal cortisol secretion (Cushing syndrome and MACS), and pheochromocytomas. She aims to combine her clinical interests and research efforts to provide high quality, compassionate care and education to her patients.
Dr. Athimulam's research efforts are focused on the implications of abnormal cortisol secretion on morbidity and improving diagnostic accuracy of adrenal tumors.
Dr. Athimulam has delivered international and national presentations and published in academic peer-reviewed journals. With her work, Dr. Athimulam aims to answer clinically relevant questions which are applicable to patient care.
Awards and Honors
- New Investigator Award, Midwest American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Annual Meeting (2019)
- Domestic Fellow-in-Training Travel Grant for top abstract, AACE (2019)
- Early Career Forum Award, Endocrine Society (2019)
- Endocrinology CME Funding Committee Award, Mayo Clinic (2019)
- Top Abstract Travel Award: Improving Outcome in Cushing, AACE Syndrome 3 – Symposium (IMPROCUSH), Munich, Germany (2018)
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital