Uzma Shah, MD
Specialties: Pediatrics, Pediatric Gastroenterology
Services: Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Pediatric Hepatology, Pediatric Pancreatology, Pediatric Transplant Hepatology
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Gastroenterology
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatrics
- Dow Medical College, University, 1989
Residencies & Internships
- Michael Reese Hospital & Medical Center, Pediatrics, IL, 1994
- Civil Hospital - Karachi, Internal Medicine, 1990
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Pediatric Gastroenterology, MA, 2000
- Harvard Medical School, Pediatric Gastroenterology, MA, 1996
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Pediatric Gastroenterology, MA, 1996
After a longstanding career in various clinical leader roles with Massachusetts General Hospital for Children and Harvard Medical School, my focus as Chair of the Henry Ford Health Department of Pediatrics is on the organizational and institutional development of a comprehensive pediatric academic medical center in the City of Detroit.
I completed my pediatrics residency in Chicago, followed by fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at Boston’s Children’s Hospital and the Harvard - Massachusetts General Hospital fellowship programs.
My passion is to use my knowledge and science to care for children as a board-certified pediatric gastroenterologist, as well as trained hepatologist, transplant hepatologist and pancreatologist. In addition to continuing clinical practice at Henry Ford Health, I also will engage in research in pediatric liver disease, metabolic genetic disease, cystic fibrosis, fatty liver disease and pancreatic disease.
Having worked in an advanced clinical care and academic environment, I am committed to continuing that work with Henry Ford Health. I find tremendous joy in passing along my knowledge and experience to my colleagues, students and have participated in the career development and growth of medical students, residents and fellows worldwide. I am a staunch advocate for children with a long commitment to pediatric health policy and advocacy and am deeply dedicated to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in all areas in the practice of medicine.
- Cholestatic liver disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Fatty liver disease
- Genetic metabolic liver disease
- Pediatric liver disease
- Pediatric pancreatic disease
- Transplant immunology
Awards & Honors
- Language Access Champion, Massachusetts General Hospital (2021)
- Attending of the Year, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children (2020)
- Brian McGovern Award Nominee for Clinical Excellence (2014, 2018, 2019)
The American Academy of Pediatrics is reviewing their pediatric guidance to see where race has erroneously played a role. Learn why this is essential to delivering equitable healthcare for everyone.
Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospital - Clinton Township
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital