Treatments for Blood Disorders
We know that your blood disorder needs a lifetime of care. Our expert team of specialists will help you find a treatment that allows you to live a full, active life. We’ll work to create a plan that best meets your medical, social and physical needs. Your plan is designed around your age, overall health, family history and the severity of your blood disorder. Your treatment options include replacement therapy, platelet therapy, anticoagulants and pain management. Our expert team also offers promising new techniques for blood disorders.
Why do I need treatment?
Your blood carries nutrients and hormones to your cells, and carries waste away. Bleeding and clotting disorders stops your blood from doing its job.
A bleeding disorder like hemophilia prevents clotting.While thrombosis causes clots to block the flow of blood through your body.
We evaluate your condition and determine the best treatment for you. Our wide variety of treatment options allows us to pick the one suited your needs.
Hemophilia is a bleeding disorder in which the blood does not clot properly. Replacement therapy is the best treatment for hemophilia. These therapies replace the clotting factor that is missing or low in your body.
Your replacement therapy may include:
- Immunosuppressant therapy for acquired hemophilia. It includes steroids, intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), certain chemotherapy drugs (Cyclophosphamide, Vincristine and Rituximab)
- Medication that helps with clotting (antifibrinolytics)
- Desmopressin, or DDAVP, for mild hemophilia or von Willebrand disease
- Local clotting therapies, such as thrombin gel and fibrin glue
Thrombosis happens when a clot forms in your blood vessel. This clot may prevent blood from flowing normally. The clot may also move to your brain or lung, which can be life threatening. We offer several therapies to treat thrombosis:
- Blood thinners, known as anticoagulants. These include unfractionated heparin, low molecular weight heparins (Fondaparinux), Warfarin, Dabigatran, Rivaroxaba and Argatroban.
- Antiplatelet therapy to lower the ability of a blood clot to form
- Antithrombin therapy, a protein that prevents you from clotting too much
If you have a blood disorder, pain does not have to be a normal part of your life. We are one of the few hemophilia centers that specializes in pain management for patients just like you.
Our treatment plans often combine medicinal therapies, including:
- Oral (pills)
- Other non-pharmacological treatment options