What to Expect From Your Hospitalist
What do hospitalists do?
Hospitalists are doctors who tend to the medical needs of any hospitalized patient. Henry Ford hospitalists are on duty 24/7 and manage the care of inpatients in several types of hospital units at all of our hospitals.
Medical conditions that hospitalists treat
Hospitalists are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of medical conditions, including issues that develop while the patient is in the hospital. Henry Ford hospitalists care for patients with diseases or conditions in the following areas:
- Heart Problems/Cardiology
- Pulmonary/Lung and Airway
- Palliative Care
- Stomach and Intestinal Problems/Gastroenterology
- Infectious Diseases
- Pain Management
- Medical issues in surgical patients
Benefits of being cared for by a hospitalist
- Knowledge of Hospital Medicine: Hospitalists are familiar with the complicated medical issues that may develop in hospitalized patients.
- Consistency of Care: Henry Ford hospitalists focus on the patient’s medical needs and work in schedules that allow them to provide care 24/7 throughout the patient’s hospital stay.
- Team Care: Henry Ford Medical Group hospitalists work with each patient’s primary care doctor as well as other health professionals caring for the patient.
- Patient Safety/Quality Improvement: By working in the hospital setting day and night, hospitalists are able to monitor patients more closely than the patient’s primary care doctor. They continually help to make hospitals safer for patients.