Respirator Medical Clearance
What is respirator medical clearance?
Employer shall provide a medical evaluation to determine the employee's ability to use a respirator, before the employee is fit tested or required to use the respirator in the workplace.
Components of medical evaluation
A physician or licensed healthcare professional must perform the medical evaluation using OSHA's respiratory medical evaluation questionnaire or an initial medical exam that obtains the same information as the OSHA questionnaire.
- OSHA respiratory medical evaluation is mandatory and must be performed prior to fit testing
- Physical exam at doctor's discretion
- Chest x-ray, PFT, EKG at doctor's discretion
Physiological effects of respiratory use
- Pulmonary effects
- Increased breathing resistance
- Decreased endurance
- Decrease in exercise performance
- Cardiac effects
- Increased cardiac work
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
Our clients/customers can submit an online respirator questionnaire, which is sent to a licensed healthcare provider for review, and receive clearance/disposition in writing.