Chronic Pain Management
Everyone experiences pain from time to time. But persistent, debilitating pain that does not go away is not normal and can affect every aspect of daily life.
We designed our Chronic Pain Management Program to help people understand their pain and develop better coping skills to manage it.
What is chronic pain?
Chronic pain is a syndrome that persists beyond the normal time expected for healing, or is more disabling than a typical recovery from injury or illness. The pain may be mild or excruciating, and it does not go away with typical treatments, such as medications.
This type of persistent pain can take a big toll on one’s quality of life. That’s why it is important to get professional help. You may:
- Avoid activities that could produce pain
- Be far more restricted in your daily activities
- Experience severe depression and discouragement
- Feel alienated from family and friends
Chronic pain treatment at Henry Ford
Chronic Pain Management at Henry Ford is a six-week program, followed by either individual or group therapy. The program focuses on the nature and experience of pain, including proper use of relaxation techniques.
We work with you to help you understand:
- The overall experience of pain
- Proper use of medications and ways of communicating with physicians
- How to engage in exercise effectively and safely
- How to set personal goals in relation to pain
You will continue to work with your regular physicians for pain management and may be referred to one of our psychiatrists for antidepressants, if needed.