Inspire® Upper Airway Stimulation
Henry Ford is the first in Detroit to offer Inspire® therapy, which is designed for those with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea who are unable to use a continuous positive airway pressure device (CPAP). Through working with your doctor, you can determine if you would be a good candidate for this treatment option.
What is Inspire®?
Inspire® therapy is surgically implanted and does not require a mask or oral appliance to treat obstructive sleep apnea. This therapy continuously monitors your breathing patterns during sleep. Based on your unique breathing patterns, the system delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, which keeps the airway open.
The system consists of three fully implanted components: a small generator, breathing sensor lead and stimulation lead. All parts are controlled by a handheld sleep remote.
How do I know if I may qualify?
- You must have previously tried CPAP and been intolerant to it.
- You must have moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea, with a sleep study performed in the last 3 years that shows that your AHI is between 15 and 65.
- You must be an adult, aged 22 or older.
- You must be able to or have the necessary assistance to operate the therapy independently by a remote control.
- You cannot be pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Your BMI must be 32 or less. You can calculate your BMI online if you know your height and weight.
- You must have favorable upper airway anatomy. This is decided through a procedure called Drug Induced Sleep Endoscopy (DISE) which is done in the operating room under sedation with a fiberoptic endoscope by the surgeon.
Where can I get more information?
Visit www.inspiresleep.com for more information.