Henry Ford MyChart FAQs
Your medical record
Henry Ford MyChart for my family (proxy access)
After I have enrolled
MyChart mobile questions
Please Note: to use the MyChart Mobile App, you must first have a Henry Ford MyChart account.
MyChart Central and Lucy
MyChart Video Visits
What is Henry Ford MyChart?
MyChart offers patients personalized and secure on-line access to portions of their medical records. It enables you to securely use the Internet to help manage and receive information about your health. With MyChart, you can use the Internet to:
- Request medical appointments
- Directly schedule medical appointments in some departments.
- View your health summary from the MyChart electronic health record.
- View test results.
- View billing information and make a payment
- Request new prescription renewals. (not request refill from a pharmacy)
- Request Proxy access to view the medical information of your minor child (0-13 years).
- Allow another person access to view your medical information within their MyChart account.
- Access trusted health information resources.
- Communicate electronically and securely with your medical care team.
Is there a fee to use Henry Ford MyChart?
MyChart is a free service offered to our patients.
How do I sign up?
If you are not currently enrolled in MyChart, you will be automatically signed up at your next visit, unless you choose to opt out.
Who do I contact if I have further questions?
Are all Henry Ford facilities and physicians using MyChart?
All physician practices within Henry Ford facilities offer MyChart. Some private practices with offices located in a Henry Ford facility may not utilize MyChart. Please check with your doctor how you may interact with them through MyChart. Your doctor may not take part in all features.
You can use MyChart to view the results of lab tests and imaging procedures performed at any Henry Ford Facility, regardless of your other physician’s affiliation or utilization of MyChart. Radiology images are currently not available; you will only see a summary of the results.
How can patients use Henry Ford MyChart to download information to share with doctors outside of Henry Ford?
Because MyChart is available through the web anytime, anywhere, it is a handy communication tool for patients. You are able to download and print out post-appointment summaries, a health summary document or test results from your MyChart account and share them with your primary care physician and/or other doctors unaffiliated with Henry Ford.
In MyChart, go to menu “My Medical Record”, select “Download my record” and follow the instructions to download a copy of your Health Summary to your computer. Or, go to menu option “Visits”, select either “Visit Summary” or “Admission Summary” and then a specific visit or admission to download a copy of an After Visit Summary report for that visit your computer. Finally, locate that file on your computer and open it to print a copy to share with a doctor outside Henry Ford.
When can I see my test results in Henry Ford MyChart?
Your outpatient patient lab and radiology test results once finalized are released to your MyChart account twice daily, Monday through Friday, (at 5:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.). Please note your physician may not have reviewed them yet.
Inpatient and Emergency Department patients will have test results during your stay released to your MyChart account upon discharge. Tests results after you leave (post-discharge) will be released to your MyChart account following same times as outpatient schedule – daily, Monday through Friday, (at 5:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.).
Select sensitive test results will be released after a 3-day delay to allow your physician to review. These tests include: HIV, STDs, RPR, Gonorrhea, GC Culture/GC Assay and Chlamydia, Genetics, Surgical Pathology, Cytology, Maternal Serum/Screening, Breast Biopsy, OB Ultrasounds and Fetal-related tests that may reveal fetus gender to parents who wish not to know (i.e. Amniocentesis, CVS, Ultrasound Fetal Echo, etc.).
Any tests ordered as part of 'Research' will not be released to MyChart.
Why do I not receive my test result letters in the mail after signing up for MyChart?
When you sign-up for MyChart you are automatically enrolled in paperless test results. If you would like a paper copy of your results, please contact your physician.
Why are certain test results not immediately available via Henry Ford MyChart?
Certain test results are not values easily interpreted by patients. Written explanations are required by the provider and may be provided by other means such as a printed letter.
If some of my health information on Henry Ford MyChart is not correct, what should I do?
Your Henry Ford MyChart information comes directly from your Henry Ford electronic medical record at your Henry Ford doctor's office. Please message your doctor through MyChart to correct any inaccurate information at your next Henry Ford clinic visit. Your health information is reviewed and updated in your electronic medical record each visit.
If I send a message to my doctor or nurse, when can I expect a reply?
You will generally receive an answer within 1-3 business days. Please note that MyChart should not be used for urgent situations. Please contact your medical center if the situation requires immediate attention or dial 911 if it is an emergency.
What are shared notes?
Access to medical record information is not only a patient right, but also supports quality of care and patient safety by involving patients in reviewing their documentation. Starting January 9th, 2019, completed notes from ambulatory providers will be shared with patients through MyChart. Notes from hospital stays and Emergency Room visits will follow at a later date.
Where can I find my note?
Completed notes can be found on notes tab (in upper left section) of your After Visit summary in MyChart.
Why can’t I see my note?
All approved notes will be released after they are signed by all required providers, unless the clinician decides to not share a specific note. Notes with sensitive information, including behavioral health visits will not be shared.
What can I do if I don’t agree with my note?
If you believe the information in your medical record is in error and needs to be amended, you have the right to request an amendment to the information. We are not always required to make the corrections or amendments you request, but each request will be carefully reviewed and amendments made if warranted. You will be notified when your request has been approved or denied.
The steps for requesting an amendment:
- Request an amendment form from your doctor’s office, Medical Records staff, or download the form the resources tab when signed in to MyChart.
- Your completed form can be returned using the options listed on the form.
- The Medical Records department will review the request and reach out to you to confirm your request and verify your identity.
- The amendment form will be sent directly to the provider who authored the information to review your request.
- The provider may agree and amend the information or disagree and leave the information as is.
- HFHS has 60 days to respond. If we are unable to respond within 60 days, we may extend the time for up to 30 additional days.
- Approval or denial letters will be sent to you as a follow up.
- If your request for amendment is denied in whole or in part, HFHS will provide you with a basis for the denial. You have the right to submit a written statement disagreeing with the denial.
- If you submit a statement of disagreement, HFHS must include this statement with any future disclosures of your medical record which includes the disputed information.
- If you do not submit a statement of disagreement, HFHS will include your request for amendment and our response with future disclosures of your medication record which includes the disputed information.
Can I view a family member's health record in Henry Ford MyChart?
Yes you can. This is called Proxy access and allows a patient to log into their personal MyChart account, and then connect to information regarding their family member. A Patient, Parent or Legal Guardian, of a minor may come into one of our medical facilities and request in-person to a HFHS clinical staff resource that a person be granted permission to full functionality (view and act on behalf of the patient) within their record. Parents may request proxy access to view the medical and billing information of their minor children (0-13 years) through MyChart. Adult patients may also revoke a person’s proxy or allow other adults proxy access to their information by taking action within MyChart.
A Parent or Legal Guardian of a minor may be granted permission to view the child’s record up to age 18 upon which permission will be revoked. Children between the ages 0-13, the parent/guardian has full functionality to view and act on behalf of the child within MyChart. In line with HIPAA regulations, Children between the ages 14-17, the parent/guardian may only ‘Request an Appointment’ and view billing information on behalf of the child. They will not be able to view any medical information in the child’s record.
Passwords are only given and/or reset to the patient or those with documented proxy access.
How do I gain access to view a family members medical and billing information?
MyChart users may complete and submit an electronic form to:
- After logging on to Henry Ford MyChart, (a) select menu option “Preferences” then “Personalize Proxies”, or (b) click on the wrench graphic to the right of the screen.
- On the screen below a patient may click a hyperlink to either Request or Allow access and complete an online form
- “Contact us to Request Access” – used by a person with Legal Guardianship or Medical Power of Attorney to request access to a child or adult patient’s medical and billing information in MyChart.
- If the patient is between the ages of 0 and 13 (inclusive) or incapacitated, the person will be able to view the patient’s medical and billing information within their own Henry Ford MyChart account.
- NOTE: Court Ordered Legal Guardian or person with Medical Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) will need to present a copy of legal paperwork verifying their authority to have access to the patient's medical information if a scanned copy of such legal documentation is not already in the patient's record.
- If the patient is between the ages of 14 and 17 (inclusive), the person will only be able to make appointments and view billing information within their own Henry Ford MyChart account. They will not be able to view any medical information in the child’s record.
- “Contact us to Allow Access” – used by a patient to provide authorization to allow another person to have access to their medical and billing information in MyChart.
a) NOTE: An Adult person cannot request (and be granted) permission to another adult’s information – the request must come from the patient willing to share their information.
Finally a patient may “revoke” a person’s proxy access to their information at any time by selecting the person’s name under “Who Can View My Record?” and then clicking the [Revoke Access] button.
Can I ask questions regarding a family member from my Henry Ford MyChart account?
MyChart offers direct access to your personal health record and communicating about another individual's information, while signed in to MyChart, would be placed in your health record. This information would not appear in the correct health record and could potentially jeopardize medical care.
Can my spouse and I share one Henry Ford MyChart account?
No, due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own Henry Ford MyChart account. However, you may request Proxy Access be granted to each other’s chart.
Within the “Preferences” section, go to “ Personalize Proxies” and complete the form to allow access.
I forgot my password. What should I do?
You click the "Forgot password" link on the sign-in page to reset your password online. You may also contact us at 1-800-HENRYFORD (800-436-7936) to request a new, secure password or Live Chat.
Can you send me a new activation code as I have lost it, let it expire or did not receive it?
Contact us at HFMyChart@hfhs.org or 1-800-HENRYFORD (1-800-436-7936). After we verify your information, a new code will be sent via U.S. Postal Mail or E-Mail to you.
Where can I update my personal information (e.g., e-mail or change my password)?
Log into Henry Ford MyChart and under the menu option “Preferences” select the appropriate option.
How is Henry Ford MyChart secure?
We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure. Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal ID's, and passwords. Each person controls their password, and the account cannot be accessed without that password. Further, Henry Ford MyChart uses the latest 128-bit SSL encryption technology with no caching to automatically encrypt your session with Henry Ford MyChart. Unlike conventional e-mail, all Henry Ford MyChart messaging is done while you are securely logged on to our website.
Henry Ford MyChart is owned and operated by Henry Ford Health System and is fully compliant with federal and state laws pertaining to your privacy. Your name and e-mail address will be treated with the same care and privacy given your health records and will never be sold or leased by Henry Ford Health System.
I was logged out of Henry Ford MyChart, what happened?
We aim to protect your privacy and security of your information. While logged into MyChart, if your keyboard remains idle for 15 minutes or more, you will be automatically logged out of Henry Ford MyChart. We recommend that you log out of your MyChart session if you need to leave your computer for even a short period of time.
What do I need in order to use Henry Ford MyChart?
You need access to a computer connected to the Internet and an up-to-date browser (such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Apple Safari,).
- If you are experiencing problems such as being logged out immediately after logging in, an extension or add-on in your web browser may be causing problems with MyChart. Use the instructions below to learn how to disable extensions and add-ons in some of the most popular web browsers.
- If disabling extensions and add-ons does not resolve your problem, try clearing "Cookies" in your web browser using the instructions below.
- Finally, if you are still having problems, try installing a different web browser.
Click here for instructions for all above
My activation code does not work. What should I do?
For your security, your activation code expires after 60 days and is no longer valid after the first time you use it. If you still have problems, email us at HFMyChart@hfhs.org or you can call us at 1-800-HENRYFORD (1-800-436-7936) or Live Chat.
Is my activation code my user ID?
No, your activation code is not your MyChart ID or password. You will use this code only once to log into Henry Ford MyChart for the first time. (The code will expire after you have used it or after 60 days). When you log into MyChart the first time, you will then be asked to create your own unique MyChart ID and password.
Where do I see what I owe? How do I make a payment?
From the homepage, click on the View your Billing Account summary quick link.
This will take you to your Billing Account Summary. From here, you can see the amount due for your various accounts, click the Pay button to make a payment, or click on the See Account Detail hyperlink to see more information about a particular account.
From Account Details, you can view even more detailed information by scrolling to the Outstanding Accounts section and clicking on the “Click here” hyperlink
I received an “invalid token” error when trying to make a payment. What do I do now?
If you receive an “invalid token” error when trying to make a payment, you may need to clear your browser cache. To do this in Internet Explorer, log out of MyChart, click the icon in the upper-right corner, and select Internet Options.
From the Internet Options window, click the Delete button underneath the Browsing history section
On the Delete Browsing History window, make sure that the Cookies and website data option is checked. Press Delete.
Press OK on the Internet Options window and close and re-open your browser. Navigate to the MyChart website and try making a payment again.
What is MyChart Mobile? How can I get it?
MyChart Mobile is an App available to access your MyChart account on your phone. You can download the MyChart Mobile App on your device at no charge.
- Go to the Apple App Store or Android Market
- Search for “MyChart from Epic”
- Once the app has been installed, click to open it, and accept the license agreement
- If prompted, “MyChart would like to use your Current Location," click on [OK]
- If you click [Don’t Allow], then when prompted to select a “healthcare provider” and/or enter in a “name/zip/state”:
- Type in “Henry Ford” or “Michigan”
- Scroll until you see “Henry Ford MyChart," then click to select it
You may also download the App on your desktop computer and install it on your mobile device.
Please Note: to use the MyChart Mobile App, you must first have a Henry Ford MyChart account. You are also unable to use the app when resetting with a temporary password. You are able to utilize your web browser on your mobile device (Internet Explorer, Safari).
Which Henry Ford MyChart features are available in the mobile app?
- View Appointments (past and future)
- Securely Message your Provider (Inbox)
- View Health Summaries (health issues, medications, allergies, immunizations)
- View test results
- View and renew medications
- Family Access
- View billing information (please note that making payments is only available via the website)
Please Note: Use the MyChart website to view more information and access features not available within the mobile app.
Is my information secure when using the mobile app?
The App was developed by Epic Systems to provide a secure display of information without storing any sensitive material on the device. Also, users need to login each time, just as they do with MyChart. There are several layers of security in front of the Epic Electronic Medical Record to further secure patients' information.
How much does the App cost?
There is no cost for the MyChart Mobile App.
Who should I contact with problems or questions?
What phones can use MyChart Mobile?
Currently MyChart Mobile is only available for the iPhone and Android smartphones.
Please refer to the minimum requirements associated with the latest app version when in the Android or iOS Store.
How do I reset my password on the MyChart Mobile App?
The patient cannot change/reset their login password using the MyChart Mobile App. Here are the steps to accomplish this using the phone’s Internet Browser.
- Open the phone’s internet browser; ‘Safari’ (iPhone) or “Browser” (Android)
- Go to website address: HenryFord.com/MyChart
- Click on link “Log In now” in the blue box on the right of the screen/page
- This will take them to the MyChart website. Type in your Username and the temporary password. Next you will be prompted to change it to your own personal password.
- After logging out/exiting the website, you will be able to use your username and new password to access MyChart via the MyChart Mobile App.
*Apple, App Store, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
What is MyChart Central?
MyChartCentral provides you with a central access point for all your MyChart accounts where you can access all accounts using a single username and password.
What is Lucy?
Lucy is a personal health record that gives you a permanent home to organize all your medical information, regardless of where it came from. You can request an updated copy of your Epic medical record at any time and store it in Lucy.
You can also add personal information about your health and choose to share it with Henry Ford and other organizations where you receive care. If your insurance changes or you move away and need to leave your current organization, Lucy will follow you.
What’s the difference between MyChartCentral and Lucy?
MyChartCentral is a hub from which you can access your Henry Ford MyChart account, other MyChart accounts from the Michigan-area or nationwide, and Lucy. MyChartCentral allows you to easily any MyChart account without needing to remember different usernames and passwords.
Lucy is a personal health record that gives you a permanent home to organize all your medical information. You can request an updated copy of your medical record at any time and store it in Lucy.
You can also add personal information about your health and choose to share it with Henry Ford and other organizations where you receive care.
Why isn’t my health information the same at all of my healthcare organizations?
The information that each of your healthcare organizations knows about you might be different, depending on the type of care they give you and when you were last seen. You can help keep everyone up to date by organizing your records in Lucy and sharing your information among all the different places where you receive care.
What if I don’t have multiple MyChart accounts?
Even if you have only one MyChart account, you can still use Lucy as your personal health record. MyChartCentral can provide access to your one MyChart account and Lucy with a single username and password.
Is my health information in MyChartCentral and Lucy secure?
Yes. Like your MyChart account, MyChartCentral and Lucy are password-protected and delivered via an encrypted connection to keep your health information safe from unauthorized users.
What should I do if the information I see in MyChart or Lucy is wrong?
If information in your Henry Ford MyChart account or Lucy is wrong, please send a message to your Henry Ford Doctor’s Care Team so they can correct it. If information from another healthcare organization is wrong, contact that organization to make sure your information is corrected. After the information looks right in MyChart, you can get an updated copy in Lucy by requesting your chart again.
How do I sign up for MyChartCentral and Lucy?
Log in to your Henry Ford MyChart account and select menu option “My Medical Record” then click on “Lucy and MyChart Central”.
How do I access MyChartCentral and Lucy?
After signing up, you can access MyChartCentral and Lucy by going to www.mychartcentral.com or logging into Henry Ford MyChart and accessing MyChartCentral by selecting menu option "My Medical Record", then clicking on “Lucy and MyChart Central”.
How can I get help if I have a question about MyChartCentral or Lucy?
While you are in MyChartCentral or Lucy or from the MyChartCentral log in page, click the “Request Help” hyperlink at the bottom of the screen. After you submit the form, you will receive a response via e-mail within two business days.
Can I view my family members’ charts in MyChartCentral?Yes, you can. MyChartCentral and Lucy let you see the same family members you can see here in Henry Ford MyChart.
If you’d like to (a) request access to a patient you have Legal Guardianship or Medical Power of Attorney, or (b) provide authorization to allow another person to have access to your information, then:
- After logging on to Henry Ford MyChart, select menu option “Preferences” then “Personalize Proxies”.
- Click the appropriate hyperlink to either Request or Allow access and complete an online form.
NOTE: An Adult person cannot request (and be granted) permission to another adult’s information – the request must come from the patient willing to share their information.
What are video appointments/visits?
Video appointments/visits allow returning patients to connect with their doctor in real time over a video call using their MyChart Mobile App on their smartphone or mobile device. These appointments/visits will occur at a scheduled time with patients who have an active MyChart account. The patient does not have to go to the doctor’s location for this visit. Please note, be aware of your environment as you initiate video call for your own privacy (personal health care information will be shared during this visit. Driving during video visit is unsafe and is not recommended. Doctors will end the visit and reschedule in the event you are driving and unable to park during your video visit.
Virtual Care, also referred to as telemedicine or telehealth, uses computers, cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices to have a video appointment/visit with your Doctor. Virtual Care offers an opportunity to receive the same high quality healthcare expertise with added convenience, removing barriers like time, travel and distance, allowing great care anywhere, anytime.
How does a video appointment/visit work?
Watch this short patient instructional video with information regarding downloading the Mobile MyChart App (Android or iPhone), connecting, interacting, and disconnecting with a provider using MyChart video visits.
At time of appointment, open MyChart Mobile App and go to Appointment icon.
From the patient appointment list, click upcoming appointment with green video icon. Click on the green [Begin Visit] button at the bottom on the appointment. A [Test Connection] button will display until 10-minutes before appointment start time and after appointment time has passed.
Once video visit is initiated by patient, but doctor has not yet connected, the patient will be placed in virtual waiting room. Once doctor joins the visit, he/she will appear in the top box, framed in red. While the patient will appear in the lower box. When the patient disconnects, patient is prompted to end/leave the appointment.
- Your mobile device may lose anywhere from 0.5-1.5% of battery life per minute of video appointment/visit, so please ensure that your mobile device is fully charged or plugged in while on a video appointment/visit.
- If patient gets disconnected from video call during the visit they should return to this screen to re-enter the video call.
- If patient clicks out of MyChart Mobile App (i.e. to open photos or other app), video visit will still be running in the background (audio only) and shows a band at top of screen to signify video visit in progress. Patient can navigate to open apps to re-open video visit.
- If patient navigates away from MyChart Mobile App (i.e. low battery, appointment reminders, etc.) the doctor will lose video only and audio will be maintained until patient closes or clears notification and navigates back to MyChart.
- If mobile device runs out of charge/power you will have to re-connect to MyChart mobile app using another device or by plugging in device. Both doctor and patient will need to reconnect to video appointment/visit.
Who can use video appointment/visit?
Patients interested in having a video appointment/visit must meet the following requirements:
- An active MyChart account
- Access to an iPhone/iPad or Android Device (with MyChart Mobile App downloaded)
- A return patient (established relationship)
- Not a medical emergency (non-emergent)
Patients must have an iOS or Android device with the MyChart Mobile App downloaded, an active MyChart account, and have an established relationship with a doctor offering video appointment/visit.
Henry Ford Health System is piloting video appointments with a small group of doctors and patients for conditions that do not require a physical exam, such as, depression, diabetes, ADHD, lab/test results and some dermatology follow-up care and prescription refills. Initial pilot includes doctors in adult internal medicine, pediatrics, cardiac rehabilitation, and dermatology.
What is the cost of a video appointment/visit?
Video visits are billed as a regular office visit. Most insurance plans cover these visits. Patient copay, coinsurance and deductible still apply. Patient is responsible to check with their specific insurance plan to determine if visit is covered.
Are video appointments/visits covered by insurance?
Video visits are covered by most insurance plans. The patient’s copay, coinsurance and deductible would still apply.
Can I use my HSA/FSA account?
Yes, this visit should be covered by Health Spending Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts used for medical care.
What are the technology requirements for video appointment/visit?
- iOS (iPhone) 8.0+ or Android 4.0+ or computer/laptop with web camera
- Functioning built-in video camera connected to device
- Network Connectivity: Wi-Fi or Cellular
- HFHS MyChart Mobile App (most updated version) on mobile device or MyChart Website and active MyChart account
- Charged phone/mobile device
When initiating video appointment/visit the front ("selfie") camera will be used. This camera may offer a grainy picture, so if a clearer picture is needed, you can rotate to the back camera on the mobile device which offers better picture quality.
Will the video appointment/visit be recorded?
No, the video is not recorded or saved.
Can I use the MyChart website version for video appointment/visit?
The web version of MyChart can only be used if you are connecting via a desktop computer or laptop. Please ensure that you have a camera connected to the desktop computer and test connectivity to ensure that you have the required web plugin (Vidyo).
If you are using a mobile device (phone or tablet), you must use the MyChart App to connect to your video visit.
Please note: Safari on a desktop/laptop will not support a video visit connection if using Mac OS X High Sierra (version 10.13) or a later version. Please connect using Internet Explorer.
What is the difference between Video appointment/visit, Clinic Video Visit, eVisit, and MyChart Messaging?
Video Appointment/Visit is a scheduled appointment with a doctor where the patient does NOT need to come to a clinic to see the doctor in person. The patient may be at their home, office, or other location and using the MyChart Mobile App on their smartphone can have the video call with their doctor.
Clinic Video Visit is a scheduled appointment with a doctor where the patient is at one clinic, and the doctor is at a physically different or distant clinic. The patient and provider communicate using audio and video in real time over a video conference.
eVisit is used as a non-urgent electronic visit, for a fee, where patients answer a series of online questions based upon their symptoms. This information is sent via electronic message to their doctor to be assessed for diagnosis and treatment within 24 hours. It is at the doctor’s discretion to decline the eVisit (no charge applied) and request the patient come on-site for a clinic visit.
MyChart messaging is used to ask common, non-urgent questions such as advice about common illnesses, visit follow-up clarifications, test result follow-up, medication dosage clarifications, or asking if an appointment is needed for some other reason. It is not used as a means to obtain diagnosis or treatment.
How do I schedule a video appointment/visit?
The doctor’s front desk staff can help review and schedule a video visit.
How do I cancel a video appointment/visit?
In the MyChart App under the appointment icon, select the upcoming video appointment. The patient has the option to “Cancel Visit.” If cancelling before the appointment time, you will be prompted to give a reason for cancellation and then be able to cancel appointment. If cancelling after appointment time, you will be prompted to call the office phone number to cancel.
How far in advance can I connect to video appointment/visit?
You will be able to connect to a video visit 10 minutes before the scheduled appointment time using the green “Begin Visit” button. Any time more than 10 minutes before the visit, the patient will see a “test Connection” button.
What if I am late for a video appointment/visit?
Video visits are time sensitive. If you are not able to log in or connect to your visit on time, the provider may no longer be available. Please cancel your appointment if you know you are not able to attend.