What is Henry Ford MyChart?
MyChart offers you personalized and secure online access to portions of your medical records. It enables you to securely use the internet to help manage and receive information about your health. With MyChart, you can use the internet to:
- Request medical appointments
- Directly schedule medical appointments in some departments
- View your health summary from the MyChart electronic health record
- View test results
- View billing information and make a payment
- Request new prescription renewals (not request refill from a pharmacy)
- Request proxy access to view the medical information of your minor child (0-13 years)
- Allow another person access to view your medical information within their MyChart account
- Access trusted health information resources
- Communicate electronically and securely with your medical care team
Is there a fee to use Henry Ford MyChart?
MyChart is a free service offered to our patients.
How do I sign up?
If you are not currently enrolled in MyChart, you will be automatically signed up at your next visit unless you choose to opt out.
Whom do I contact if I have further questions?
Are all Henry Ford facilities and doctors using MyChart?
All physician practices within Henry Ford facilities offer MyChart. Some private practices with offices located in a Henry Ford facility may not utilize MyChart. Please check with your doctor how you may interact with them through MyChart. Your doctor may not take part in all features.
You can use MyChart to view the results of lab tests and imaging procedures performed at any Henry Ford facility, regardless of your other doctors' affiliation or utilization of MyChart. Radiology images are currently not available; you will only see a summary of the results.
How can I use Henry Ford MyChart to download information to share with doctors outside of Henry Ford?
Because MyChart is available through the web anytime, anywhere, it is a handy communication tool for patients. You are able to download and print out post-appointment summaries, a health summary document or test results from your MyChart account and share them with your primary care doctor and/or other doctors unaffiliated with Henry Ford.
In MyChart, go to the menu “My Medical Record," select “Download my record,” and follow the instructions to download a copy of your Health Summary to your computer. Or go to menu option “Visits," select either “Visit Summary” or “Admission Summary” and then a specific visit or admission to download a copy of an After Visit Summary report for that visit your computer. Finally, locate that file on your computer and open it to print a copy to share with a doctor outside Henry Ford.
Your medical record
When can I see my test results in Henry Ford MyChart?
Your outpatient patient lab and radiology test results once finalized are released to your MyChart account twice daily, Monday through Friday, (at 5:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.). Please note your physician may not have reviewed them yet.
Inpatient and Emergency Department patients will have test results during your stay released to your MyChart account upon discharge. Tests results after you leave (post-discharge) will be released to your MyChart account following same times as outpatient schedule – daily, Monday through Friday (at 5:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.).
Select sensitive test results will be released after a three-day delay to allow your doctor to review them. These tests include:
- GC culture/GC assay and chlamydia
- Surgical pathology
- Maternal serum/screening
- Breast biopsy
- OB ultrasounds and fetal-related tests that may reveal fetus gender to parents who wish not to know (e.g., amniocentesis, CVS, ultrasound fetal echo, etc.).
Any tests ordered as part of "Research" will not be released to MyChart.
Why do I not receive my test result letters in the mail after signing up for MyChart?
When you sign up for MyChart, you are automatically enrolled in paperless test results. If you would like a paper copy of your results, please contact your doctor.
Why are certain test results not immediately available via Henry Ford MyChart?
Certain test results are not values easily interpreted by patients. Written explanations are required by the provider and may be provided by other means, such as a printed letter.
If some of my health information on Henry Ford MyChart is not correct, what should I do?
Your Henry Ford MyChart information comes directly from your Henry Ford electronic medical record at your Henry Ford doctor's office. Please message your doctor through MyChart to correct any inaccurate information at your next Henry Ford clinic visit. Your health information is reviewed and updated in your electronic medical record each visit.
If I send a message to my doctor or nurse, when can I expect a reply?
You will generally receive an answer within one to three business days. Please note that MyChart should not be used for urgent situations. Please contact your medical center if the situation requires immediate attention or dial 911 if it is an emergency.
What are shared notes?
Access to medical record information is not only a patient right but also supports quality of care and patient safety by involving patients in reviewing their documentation. As of Jan. 9, 2019, completed notes from ambulatory providers are shared with patients through MyChart. Notes from hospital stays and Emergency Room visits will follow at a later date.
Where can I find my note?
Completed notes can be found on notes tab (in upper left section) of your After Visit summary in MyChart.
Why can’t I see my note?
All approved notes will be released after they are signed by all required providers unless the clinician decides to not share a specific note. Notes with sensitive information, including behavioral health visits, will not be shared.
What can I do if I don’t agree with my note?
If you believe the information in your medical record is in error and needs to be amended, you have the right to request an amendment to the information. We are not always required to make the corrections or amendments you request, but each request will be carefully reviewed and amendments made if warranted. You will be notified when your request has been approved or denied.
The steps for requesting an amendment:
- Request an amendment form from your doctor’s office or Medical Records staff, or download the form from the Resources tab when signed into MyChart.
- Your completed form can be returned using the options listed on the form.
- The Medical Records department will review the request and reach out to you to confirm your request and verify your identity.
- The amendment form will be sent directly to the provider who authored the information to review your request.
- The provider may agree and amend the information or disagree and leave the information as is.
- We have 60 days to respond. If we are unable to respond within 60 days, we may extend the time for up to 30 additional days.
- Approval or denial letters will be sent to you as a follow-up.
- If your request for amendment is denied in whole or in part, we will provide you with a basis for the denial. You have the right to submit a written statement disagreeing with the denial.
- If you submit a statement of disagreement, we must include this statement with any future disclosures of your medical record which includes the disputed information.
- If you do not submit a statement of disagreement, we will include your request for amendment and our response with future disclosures of your medication record, which includes the disputed information.
Happy Together – medical data from other organizations
What is “Happy Together”?
You can see your health information from other organizations in MyChart through the Happy Together framework. If you have an existing medical record at another organization, you can link your outside chart with your Henry Ford MyChart account. After you have linked your account, you can view your medications, allergies and problem list from the outside organization right in Henry Ford MyChart. If you have a MyChart account at the outside organization, you can also see your test results, message your providers and schedule appointments with the outside organization through our Henry Ford MyChart.
How do I troubleshoot incomplete Happy Together account linking?
You might see the option to link to an external organization in your MyChart account after you successfully log in. If the connection is available but fails, the likely cause is that you have an inactive MyChart account at the external organization. Reach out to the external organization to have your account reset.
How is proxy access handled with Happy Together?
You must have a proxy account at both your organization and the external organization to see information for patients to whom you have proxy access from the external organization. If you expect to see a proxy account from the external organization, reach out to the external organization to establish a proxy relationship.
How do I link or unlink an external account?
You are prompted to link your accounts the first time you log in after being seen at another organization. If you choose not to link your account at that time, you can go to Settings > Manage My Accounts to link the account later or unlink other linked accounts.
How do allergies, health issues and medications appear?
Allergies from both Henry Ford and external organizations appear as a single list on the Allergies page. Similarly, problems appear in a single list in the Current Health Issues page. If the external allergies or health issues matches your Henry Ford data, the information appears only once.
Medications appear on the Medications page and are separated into tabs by organization. Medications are not de-duplicated. All medications documented at Henry Ford and external organizations appear regardless of similarity.
How do I see test results from other organizations?
Test results from both Henry Ford and external organizations appear as a single list on the Test Results page. Results from external organizations are only retrieved if you have an active MyChart account at the external organization.
How can I send messages and schedule appointments with another organization?
Messages and appointments appear in a combined view only if you have an active MyChart account at the external organization.
- You can reply directly to an outside provider's message in the Message Center by selecting the message from the provider and then clicking [Reply]. You can also start a message by clicking [Ask a Question] from Message Center.
- The Appointments and Visits page shows past and upcoming appointments from both Henry Ford and external organizations. You can click an appointment to load the visit information associated with it and schedule an appointment with outside providers.
Why can I NOT schedule an appointment with another organization or send a message to their provider?
You must have an active MyChart account at the external organization to be able to message and schedule appointments with that organization from Henry Ford MyChart. You can message or schedule appointments with external providers only if the external MyChart account allows them to. If you cannot do these activities in your MyChart account from the external organization, you cannot do them in our Henry Ford MyChart.
What does the Care Everywhere symbol mean?
The Care Everywhere symbol appears on all information coming from an external organization. You can hover your mouse over the symbol to see where the information is coming from.
What does the blue notification bubbles mean in the ‘Other Providers’ section of the home page?
The blue notification bubbles appear if you have notifications available at an external organization. You can click the organization icon to jump into the external organization's MyChart, where you can see the notifications. Blue notification bubbles appear only if you have an active MyChart account at the external organization.
Why is the external (other organization’s) data on the website but not in the mobile app?
The MyChart mobile apps have not yet been updated to support viewing data from external organizations like you can do on the MyChart website.
Henry Ford MyChart for my family (proxy access)
Can I view a family member's health record in Henry Ford MyChart?
Yes, you can. This is called proxy access and allows you to log into your personal MyChart account and then connect to information regarding your family member. A patient, parent or legal guardian of a minor may come into one of our medical facilities and request in-person to Henry Ford clinical staff member that a person be granted permission to full functionality (view and act on behalf of the patient) within their record. Parents may request proxy access to view the medical information of their minor children (0-13 years) through MyChart. Adult patients may also revoke a person’s proxy or allow other adults proxy access to their information by taking action within MyChart.
A parent or legal guardian of a minor may be granted permission to view the child’s record up to age 18, upon which permission will be revoked. For children between the ages 0 and 13, the parent/guardian has full functionality to view and act on behalf of the child within MyChart. In line with HIPAA regulations, for children between the ages 14 and 17, the parent/guardian may only request an appointment on behalf of the child. They will not be able to view any medical information in the child’s record.
Passwords are only given and/or reset to the patient or those with documented proxy access.
How do I gain access to view a family member's medical information?
MyChart users may complete and submit an electronic form to:
- After logging on to Henry Ford MyChart, (a) select menu option “Preferences,” then “Personalize Proxies," or (b) click on the wrench graphic to the right of the screen.
- On the screen below, you may click a hyperlink to either Request or Allow access and complete an online form.
- “Contact us to Request Access” – used by a person with Legal Guardianship or Medical Power of Attorney to request access to a child or adult patient’s medical information in MyChart.
- If the patient is between the ages of 0 and 13 (inclusive) or incapacitated, you will be able to view the patient’s medical information within your own Henry Ford MyChart account.
- NOTE: A court-ordered Legal Guardian or person with Medical Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) will need to present a copy of legal paperwork verifying their authority to have access to the patient's medical information if a scanned copy of such legal documentation is not already in the patient's record.
- If the patient is between the ages of 14 and 17 (inclusive), you will only be able to make appointments within your own Henry Ford MyChart account. You will not be able to view any medical information in the child’s record.
- “Contact us to Allow Access” – used by a patient to provide authorization to allow another person to have access to their medical information in MyChart.
a) NOTE: An adult person cannot request (and be granted) permission to another adult’s information – the request must come from the patient willing to share their information.
Finally, you may revoke a person’s proxy access to your information at any time by selecting the person’s name under “Who Can View My Record?” and then clicking the [Revoke Access] button.
How do I gain access to view a family member's billing information?
This can be done through Henry Ford Bill Pay. Obtain instruction and guidance on the Henry Ford Bill Pay website portal.
Can I ask questions regarding a family member from my Henry Ford MyChart account?
MyChart offers direct access to your personal health record. Communications about another individual's information while signed in to MyChart would be placed in your health record. This information would not appear in the correct health record and could potentially jeopardize medical care.
Can my spouse and I share one Henry Ford MyChart account?
No. Due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own Henry Ford MyChart account. However, you may request proxy access be granted to each other’s chart.
Within the “Preferences” section, go to “ Personalize Proxies,” and complete the form to allow access.
After I have enrolled
I forgot my password. What should I do?
Can you send me a new activation code, as I have lost it, let it expire or did not receive it?
Where can I update my personal information (e.g., email or change my password)?
Log into Henry Ford MyChart, and under the menu option “Preferences,” select the appropriate option.
How is Henry Ford MyChart secure?
We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure. Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal IDs and passwords. Each person controls their password, and the account cannot be accessed without that password. Further, Henry Ford MyChart uses the latest 128-bit SSL encryption technology with no caching to automatically encrypt your session with Henry Ford MyChart. Unlike conventional email, all Henry Ford MyChart messaging is done while you are securely logged onto our website.
Henry Ford MyChart is owned and operated by Henry Ford Health System and is fully compliant with federal and state laws pertaining to your privacy. Your name and email address will be treated with the same care and privacy given your health records and will never be sold or leased by Henry Ford Health System.
I was logged out of Henry Ford MyChart; what happened?
We aim to protect your privacy and security of your information. While logged into MyChart, if your keyboard remains idle for 15 minutes or more, you will be automatically logged out of Henry Ford MyChart. We recommend that you log out of your MyChart session if you need to leave your computer for even a short period of time.
What do I need in order to use Henry Ford MyChart?
- If you are experiencing problems such as being logged out immediately after logging in, an extension or add-on in your web browser may be causing problems with MyChart. Use the instructions below to learn how to disable extensions and add-ons in some of the most popular web browsers.
- If disabling extensions and add-ons does not resolve your problem, try clearing "Cookies" in your web browser using the instructions below.
- Finally, if you are still having problems, try installing a different web browser.
My activation code does not work. What should I do?
For your security, your activation code expires after 60 days and is no longer valid after the first time you use it. If you still have problems, email us, or you can call us at 1-800-HENRYFORD (1-800-436-7936) or Live Chat.
Is my activation code my user ID?
No, your activation code is not your MyChart ID or password. You will use this code only once to log into Henry Ford MyChart for the first time. (The code will expire after you have used it or after 60 days). When you log into MyChart the first time, you will then be asked to create your own unique MyChart ID and password.
Where do I see what I owe? How do I make a payment?
Beginning July 25, 2019, as part of our ongoing efforts to improve our patients’ experience, Henry Ford implemented a new simplified online bill pay platform called Henry Ford Bill Pay. This new platform offers more flexibility, convenience, and expanded payment options for our patients. Log in to Henry Ford Bill Pay.
Henry Ford Bill Pay offers patients the ability to:
- Set up payment plans and choose the number of months and payment amount that is most comfortable, without having to make a call to Customer Service
- Select from expanded financing options, including more flexible, longer term financing options that were not previously available
- View payment history, patient statements, health plan Explanations of Benefits, and health savings account (HSA) all in one consolidated web page
- Manage balances electronically, including the ability to make payments directly from a mobile device
- Combine multiple guarantor accounts into one consolidated family account
From within MyChart, how do I sign-in/create an account?
- Click on button "Henry Ford Bill Pay Log In" button below
- The first time, you will be prompted to create a login Username and Password
- The second time, after logging in, you may choose to use single sign-on for all future connections from within MyChart
Accessing family (proxy) member's billing information:
Family or Proxy member billing data is visible only to Guarantor and after combining accounts in Henry Ford Bill Pay. Learn more about this convenient feature on the Henry Ford Bill Pay website.
If you have questions about your account, please contact Henry Ford Billing Customer Service at (800) 999-5829. Please contact the clinic for any non-Henry Ford, partner affiliated practices (Henry Ford Community Connect) account questions.
Where can I access my prior online billing and payment information?
Your historical online payment activity has been migrated to the new Henry Ford Bill Pay platform. To access your historical payment activity click on the link above to register for Henry Ford Bill Pay, you will see a message on the homepage to view your payment history
Will I still receive notifications about my statements in MyChart?
No, all electronic communications regarding your statements will now be sent from Henry Ford Bill Pay
How do I sign up for Henry Ford Bill Pay?
You will receive an email from Henry Ford Bill Pay with a link to sign up. This email will enable an easy sign up with your Guarantor ID already included. If you do not receive the email, you can sign up by clicking the link above. You will need your guarantor ID from a prior statement, or call Henry Ford Billing Customer Service at (800) 999-5829.
From within MyChart, here is how to sign-in/create an account:
- Click on button "Henry Ford Bill Pay Log In" button on the “Learn About Henry Ford Bill Pay”
- The first time, you will be prompted to create a login Username and Password
- The second time, after logging in, you may choose to use single sign-on for all future connections from within MyChart
I used to receive my statements electronically, now I receive a paper statement, why?
Your communication preferences for billing and payment are now being managed in Henry Ford Bill Pay. Please go to Henry Ford Bill Pay to set up an account. Once your account is activated your communications will be sent electronically and you will no longer receive paper statements.
Will the change to Henry Ford Bill Pay impact my current balance, or payment plan arrangement?
The change to Henry Ford Bill Pay will not impact your current outstanding balance. If you have an existing payment plan, once you sign up for Henry Ford Bill Pay you will need to set up a new finance plan in the Henry Ford Bill Pay platform
Where do I get more information about Henry Ford billing and pricing?
Go to Henryford.com/billing for more information about billing, obtaining an estimate, financial assistance, or insurance plans accepted by Henry Ford
If I have trouble signing up for Henry Ford Bill Pay, who do I contact?
Please call our Henry Ford Billing Customer Service department at (800) 999-5829
Can I make a one-time payment without registering for Henry Ford Bill Pay?
Yes, you can make a one-time payment. On the Henry Ford Bill Pay home page you will see a link to Guest Pay. Click the Guest Pay link and enter your information
MyChart mobile questions
What is MyChart Mobile? How can I get it?
MyChart Mobile is an app available to access your MyChart account on your phone. You can download the MyChart mobile app on your device at no charge.
- Download the MyChart app from either the Apple App Store or the Google Play store
- Once the app has been installed, click to open it, and accept the license agreement
- If prompted, “MyChart would like to use your Current Location," click on [OK]
- If you click [Don’t Allow], when prompted to select a “healthcare provider” and/or enter in a “name/zip/state”:
- Type in “Henry Ford” or “Michigan”
- Scroll until you see “Henry Ford MyChart," then click to select it
You may also download the app on your desktop computer and install it on your mobile device.
Please note: To use the MyChart mobile app, you must first have a Henry Ford MyChart account. You are also unable to use the app when resetting with a temporary password. You are able to utilize your web browser on your mobile device (Safari, Chrome, etc.).
Which Henry Ford MyChart features are available in the mobile app?
- View Appointments (past and future)
- Securely Message your Provider (Inbox)
- View Health Summaries (health issues, medications, allergies, immunizations)
- View test results
- View and renew medications
- Family Access
- View billing information via Henry Ford Bill Pay which may be accessed within the MyChart Mobile App. Click on the "Henry Ford Bill Pay" icon to launch/open it within your mobile web browser.
Please Note: Use the MyChart website to view more information and access features not available within the mobile app.
Is my information secure when using the mobile app?
The app was developed by Epic Systems to provide a secure display of information without storing any sensitive material on the device. Also, users need to login each time, just as they do with MyChart. There are several layers of security in front of the Epic Electronic Medical Record to further secure patients' information.
How much does the app cost?
There is no cost for the MyChart mobile app.
Whom should I contact with problems or questions?
What phones can use MyChart Mobile?
Currently, MyChart Mobile is only available for iPhone and Android smartphones.
How do I reset my password on the MyChart mobile app?
You cannot change/reset your login password using the MyChart mobile app. Here are the steps to accomplish this using your phone’s internet browser:
- Open the phone’s internet browser (e.g., Safari, Chrome, etc.)
- Go to the following website address: HenryFord.com/MyChart
- Click on the "Log in to MyChart" button
- This will take you to the MyChart website. Type in your username and the temporary password. Next, you will be prompted to change it to your own personal password.
- After logging out/exiting the website, you will be able to use your username and new password to access MyChart via the MyChart Mobile App.
*Apple, App Store, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
MyChartCentral and Lucy
What is MyChartCentral?
MyChartCentral provides you with a central access point for all your MyChart accounts where you can access all accounts using a single username and password.
What is Lucy?
Lucy is a personal health record that gives you a permanent home to organize all your medical information, regardless of where it came from. You can request an updated copy of your Epic medical record at any time and store it in Lucy.
You can also add personal information about your health and choose to share it with Henry Ford and other organizations where you receive care. If your insurance changes or you move away and need to leave your current organization, Lucy will follow you.
What’s the difference between MyChartCentral and Lucy?
MyChartCentral is a hub from which you can access your Henry Ford MyChart account, other MyChart accounts from the Michigan area or nationwide, and Lucy. MyChartCentral allows you to easily any MyChart account without needing to remember different usernames and passwords.
Lucy is a personal health record that gives you a permanent home to organize all your medical information. You can request an updated copy of your medical record at any time and store it in Lucy.
You can also add personal information about your health and choose to share it with Henry Ford and other organizations where you receive care.
Why isn’t my health information the same at all of my healthcare organizations?
The information that each of your healthcare organizations knows about you might be different, depending on the type of care they give you and when you were last seen. You can help keep everyone up to date by organizing your records in Lucy and sharing your information among all the different places where you receive care.
What if I don’t have multiple MyChart accounts?
Even if you have only one MyChart account, you can still use Lucy as your personal health record. MyChartCentral can provide access to your one MyChart account and Lucy with a single username and password.
Is my health information in MyChartCentral and Lucy secure?
Yes. Like your MyChart account, MyChartCentral and Lucy are password-protected and delivered via an encrypted connection to keep your health information safe from unauthorized users.
What should I do if the information I see in MyChart or Lucy is wrong?
If information in your Henry Ford MyChart account or Lucy is wrong, please send a message to your Henry Ford doctor’s care team so they can correct it. If information from another healthcare organization is wrong, contact that organization to make sure your information is corrected. After the information looks right in MyChart, you can get an updated copy in Lucy by requesting your chart again.
How do I sign up for MyChartCentral and Lucy?
Log into your Henry Ford MyChart account and select menu option “My Medical Record,” and then click on “Lucy and MyChartCentral."
How do I access MyChartCentral and Lucy?
After signing up, you can access MyChartCentral and Lucy by going to www.mychartcentral.com or logging into Henry Ford MyChart and accessing MyChartCentral by selecting menu option "My Medical Record," then clicking on “Lucy and MyChartCentral."
How can I get help if I have a question about MyChartCentral or Lucy?
While you are in MyChartCentral or Lucy or from the MyChartCentral login page, click the “Request Help” hyperlink at the bottom of the screen. After you submit the form, you will receive a response via email within two business days.
Can I view my family members’ charts in MyChartCentral?Yes, you can. MyChartCentral and Lucy let you see the same family members you can see here in Henry Ford MyChart.
If you’d like to (a) request access to a patient you have Legal Guardianship or Medical Power of Attorney or (b) provide authorization to allow another person to have access to your information, then:
- After logging on to Henry Ford MyChart, select menu option “Preferences,” then “Personalize Proxies."
- Click the appropriate hyperlink to either Request or Allow access, and complete an online form.
NOTE: An adult cannot request (and be granted) permission to another adult’s information – the request must come from the patient willing to share their information.
MyChart video visits
What are video appointments/visits?
Video appointments/visits allow you to connect with your doctor in real time over a video call using their MyChart mobile app on their smartphone or mobile device. These appointments/visits will occur at a scheduled time if you have an active MyChart account. You do not have to go to the doctor’s location for this visit. Please note: Be aware of your environment as you initiate a video call for your own privacy (personal healthcare information will be shared during this visit). Driving during a video visit is unsafe and is not recommended. Doctors will end the visit and reschedule in the event you are driving and unable to park during your video visit.
Virtual Care, also referred to as telemedicine or telehealth, uses computers, cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices to have a video appointment/visit with your doctor. Virtual Care offers an opportunity to receive the same high-quality healthcare expertise with added convenience, removing barriers like time, travel and distance, allowing great care anywhere, anytime.
How does a video appointment/visit work?
Watch this short patient instructional video with information regarding downloading the mobile MyChart app (Android or iPhone) and connecting, interacting and disconnecting with a provider using MyChart video visits.
At the time of your appointment, open the MyChart mobile app, and go to the Appointment icon.
From the patient appointment list, click the upcoming appointment with the green video icon. Click on the green [Begin Visit] button at the bottom on the appointment. A [Test Connection] button will display until 10 minutes before appointment start time and after appointment time has passed.
If you have started your video visit but your doctor has not yet connected, you will be placed in a virtual waiting room. Once your doctor joins the visit, he/she will appear in the top box, framed in red, while you will appear in the lower box. When you disconnect, you will be prompted to end/leave the appointment.
- Your mobile device may lose anywhere from 0.5-1.5% of battery life per minute of video appointment/visit, so please ensure that your mobile device is fully charged or plugged in while on a video appointment/visit.
- If you get disconnected from your video call during your visit, they should return to this screen to re-enter the video call.
- If you click out of the MyChart mobile app (e.g., to open photos or other apps), your video visit will still be running in the background (audio only) and show a band at top of screen to signify a video visit in progress. You can navigate to open apps to re-open your video visit.
- If you navigate away from the MyChart mobile app (e.g., for a notification about a low battery, message received, etc.), the doctor will lose video only, and audio will be maintained until you close or clear the notification and navigate back to MyChart.
- If your mobile device runs out of power, you will have to re-connect to the MyChart mobile app using another device or by plugging in your device. Both you and your doctor will need to reconnect to your video appointment/visit.
Who can use video appointments/visits?
If you are interested in having a video appointment/visit, you must meet the following requirements:
- An active MyChart account
- Access to an iPhone/iPad or Android device (with MyChart mobile app downloaded)
- A returning patient (established relationship)
- Not a medical emergency (non-emergent)
You must have an iOS or Android device with the MyChart mobile app downloaded and an active MyChart account, and you must have an established relationship with a doctor who offers video appointments/visits.
Henry Ford Health System is piloting video appointments with a small group of doctors and patients for conditions that do not require a physical exam, such as depression, diabetes, ADHD, lab/test results and some dermatology follow-up care and prescription refills. This initial pilot includes doctors in adult internal medicine, pediatrics, cardiac rehabilitation and dermatology.
What is the cost of a video appointment/visit?
Video visits are billed as a regular office visit. Most insurance plans cover these visits. Your copay, coinsurance and deductible still apply. You are responsible for checking with your specific insurance plan to determine if your video appointment/visit is covered.
Are video appointments/visits covered by insurance?
Video visits are covered by most insurance plans. Your copay, coinsurance and deductible would still apply.
Can I use my HSA/FSA account?
Yes, this visit should be covered by Health Spending Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts used for medical care.
What are the technology requirements for video appointment/visit?
If connecting via mobile device:
- iOs 8.0+ (iPhone) or Android 4.0+
- HFHS MyChart mobile app (most updated version)
- Network connectivity: Wi-Fi or cellular
- Ensure phone/mobile device is charged
- When initiating video appointment/visit, the front (“selfie”) camera will be used. This camera may offer a grainy picture, so if a clearer picture is needed, you can rotate to the back camera on the mobile device, which offers better picture quality.
If connecting via computer:
- Laptop or desktop with web camera and sound enabled
- Compatible web browsers:
- Internet Explorer (Video plug-in download required)
- Google Chrome (video plug-in and extension download required)
- MAC USERS: Please note that Safari web browser will not support video visits
- WINDOWS USERS: Please note that Microsoft Edge web browser will not support video visits
Will the video appointment/visit be recorded?
No, the video is not recorded or saved.
Can I use the MyChart website version for video appointments/visits?
The web version of MyChart can only be used if you are connecting via a desktop computer or laptop. Please ensure that you have a camera connected to the desktop computer, and test your connectivity to ensure that you have the required web plugin (Vidyo).
If you are using a mobile device (phone or tablet), you must use the MyChart app to connect to your video visit.
Please note: Safari on a desktop/laptop will not support a video visit connection if using Mac OS X High Sierra (version 10.13) or a later version. Please connect using Internet Explorer.
What is the difference between Video Appointment/Visit, Clinic Video Visit, eVisit, and MyChart Messaging?
Video Appointment/Visit is a scheduled appointment with a doctor where you do NOT need to come to a clinic to see the doctor in person. You may be at your home, office or other location and using the MyChart mobile app on your smartphone to have the video call with your doctor.
Clinic Video Visit is a scheduled appointment with a doctor where you are at one clinic and the doctor is at a physically different or distant clinic. The patient and provider communicate using audio and video in real time over a video conference.
eVisit is used as a non-urgent electronic visit, for a fee, where you answer a series of online questions based upon your symptoms. This information is sent via electronic message to your doctor to be assessed for diagnosis and treatment within 24 hours. It is at the doctor’s discretion to decline the eVisit (no charge applied) and request that you come on-site for a clinic visit.
MyChart messaging is used to ask common, non-urgent questions such as advice about common illnesses, visit follow-up clarifications, test result follow-ups, medication dosage clarifications or asking if an appointment is needed for some other reason. It is not used as a means to obtain diagnosis or treatment.
How do I schedule a video appointment/visit?
The doctor’s front desk staff can help review and schedule a video visit.
How do I cancel a video appointment/visit?
In the MyChart app, under the appointment icon, select the upcoming video appointment. You have the option to “Cancel Visit.” If canceling before the appointment time, you will be prompted to give a reason for cancellation and then be able to cancel your appointment. If you are canceling after your appointment time, you will be prompted to call the office phone number to cancel.
How far in advance can I connect to a video appointment/visit?
You will be able to connect to a video visit 10 minutes before the scheduled appointment time using the green “Begin Visit” button. If you attempt to connect more than 10 minutes before your visit, you will see a “test Connection” button.
What if I am late for a video appointment/visit?
Video visits are time-sensitive. If you are not able to log in or connect to your visit on time, your provider may no longer be available. Please cancel your appointment if you know you are not able to attend.