The minimum qualifications for the perspective hospice volunteer are as follows:
Must complete a 5 hour online training program and workbook developed to equip the volunteer with the tools necessary to be an effective contributor to the patient and interdisciplinary team. Each volunteer will need to have an up to date flu shot, finger prints/background completed in compliance with health system standards. If interested in becoming a volunteer with Sandcastles, follow this link to Sandcastles webpage.
- Emotional stability/comfortable with the subject of death
- Motivated to assist with the dying or bereaved
- Open to new ideas and methods, willing to be trained
- Sensitive to the needs of others
- Able to be a good listener
- Respectful of cultural and religious differences
- Positive approach to life
- Willingness to help others
Quality of work
- Accepts responsibility for the quality of volunteer services he/she has delivered.
- Documentation of volunteer activity is concise, timely, accurate, pertinent information that impacts patient/family care.
- Participates in volunteer meetings and in-services, records time spent on a weekly basis, gives support to others, and works toward common goals and objectives.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and information relating to patients, family units, volunteers, and staff.
- Observes the policy related to the Volunteer Code of Ethics and other rules governing conduct while performing hospice volunteer duties.