World-Class Care Redefined
Building a premier academic medical center and destination for the most advanced care, research and education
We’re building a brand-new destination for state-of-the-art care—with patients, members and our communities in mind.
Having proudly served our communities for more than a century, the Henry Ford Hospital campus in Detroit has provided urgent and life-saving emergency care, supported those living with chronic illnesses, and been a beacon of hope for patients from across Michigan and beyond who need the very best and most advanced care for the toughest, most complex health conditions.
We believe the best is yet to come.
High Tech with a Human Touch
Our brand-new, world-class academic medical center is just the latest step in our commitment to transform how and where care is delivered in Michigan.
With a major expansion of Henry Ford Hospital, we’ll create a destination for people from down the street, across our region, and around the globe. A place that supports health and wellbeing and inspires innovation and discovery. The hospital will feature all private patient rooms and come with the most modern technology for advanced and seamless care, comfort and convenience, for patients, families, and caregivers alike. We’re joining forces with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab to create a new inpatient rehabilitation hospital within our new patient tower, thanks to a generous donation from the Gilbert Family Foundation.
Together with our partners, we will also invest in the neighborhoods we call home, creating a global destination to live, work, play and be healthy.
Groundbreaking, Patient-centered Research
We’re expanding our commitment to research – building the critical space we need so the latest discoveries can be made right here, right now, in our great city of Detroit and across Michigan.
The state-of-the-art medical research facility for Henry Ford Health + Michigan State University Health Sciences will be home to multiple shared research efforts benefitting patients and members from down the street, to across our region, to around the globe.
A Hospital for the Next 100 Years
- Brand-new, state-of-the-art academic hospital facility with patient tower, located on the south side of West Grand Boulevard, across the street from the existing hospital
- New and existing hospital buildings connected through a series of bridges to provide seamless travel across West Grand Boulevard
- New facility estimated to span more than one million square feet
- All private rooms with technology upgrades and dedicated space for care teams, patients and families
- Modernized acute and intensive care units, technically advanced operating suites and other tech upgrades
- New, larger emergency department with specialized space for trauma care and behavioral health
- New inpatient rehabilitation hospital in partnership with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
- Construction planned for the beginning of 2024
- Expected to open in 2029
Teaming Up for Groundbreaking Medical Research
- A joint medical research facility for the groundbreaking Henry Ford Health + Michigan State University Health Sciences partnership
- Space for multiple shared research disciplines, including cancer and health disparities research
- Home to the Nick Gilbert Neurofibromatosis Research Institute in partnership with the Gilbert Family Foundation
- Located along Third Street, across from the Henry Ford Detroit Pistons Performance Center and One Ford Place
- Groundbreaking planned for 2024
- Expected to open in 2027
Live, Work, Play
- Proposed development area spearheaded by the Detroit Pistons and Henry Ford Health
- Multi-phase, multi-year plan that preserves the rich history of the neighborhood
- Redevelopment of One Ford Place with market-rate and affordable housing, publicly accessible retail space, a multi-story parking deck, and a centralized community park and green space
- Development process guided by community engagement and inclusive collaboration
Help Invest in the Future of Health
Philanthropic partners will play an essential role in helping achieve our vision. To learn more about giving opportunities and how you can get involved please contact the Henry Ford Health Development Office at (313) 876-1031 or via email at DevelopmentHF@hfhs.org.