History of the Division

1915

Dr. F. Janney Smith, a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the second physician hired for the staff of Henry Ford Hospital, founds the Department of Cardio-respiratory Diseases, one of the first in the U.S. Dr. Smith is assisted by Drs. Leslie T. Colvin and Ray E. Logan.

1922

One of the first electrocardiograph machines in the country was purchased for Henry Ford Hospital.

1939

The use of heparin for thrombosis began at Ford Hospital under the direction of surgeons Drs. Conrad Lam and Roy D. McClure.

1944

Dr. Robert Ziegler began routine use of multiple-lead chest electrocardiograms at Henry Ford Hospital, the first hospital to use this technique.

1945

Dr. Robert Ziegler with Dr. F. Mason Somes established one of the first cardiology training programs in the U.S. at Henry Ford Hospital. They also initiated the hospital’s first cardiac catheterization studies program.

1961

Henry Ford Hospital hosted an international symposium "The Etiology of Myocardial Infarction." The published proceedings were edited by Drs. Thomas N. James and John W. Keyes.

1960's

Cardiologist Dr. Gerald Breneman and colleagues open the first Coronary Care Unit at Ford Hospital.

1967

Henry Ford Hospital began the use of implantable pacemakers.

1974

Dr. Sidney Goldstein was appointed chief of the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. He is a pioneer in clinical trials and a specialist in the prevention of sudden cardiac death.

1975

The Cardiovascular Research Institute was founded at Henry Ford Hospital under Dr. Paul Stein.

1977

The Lilly Research Laboratories awarded a grant of $108,000 to the Henry Ford Hospital Division of Cardiovascular Medicine for the study of a new drug to stabilize irregular heart rhythms among patients with coronary heart disease. Dr. Isaac Bar, Director of the Coronary Care Unit, and Dr. Sidney Goldstein were co-directors of the program.

1979

Henry Ford Hospital became one of the pioneers in coronary angioplasty. The balloon procedure revolutionized cardiology care for coronary patients.

1983

Dr. Fareed V. Khaja reported the first placebo-controlled randomized trial of intracoronary streptokinase. News of this new treatment to restore blood supply to the heart muscle of coronary victims was featured throughout the country.

1984

The Heart and Vascular Institute was conceived to include cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, vascular surgery, and hypertension research. The following year the Heart and Vascular Institute was announced to the general public by co-directors Drs. Sidney Goldstein and Donald Magilligan.

1985

Because of multidisciplinary cardiovascular teams, heart transplantation started with the first in Detroit performed by Dr. Fraser Keith, assisted by Dr. Donald Magilligan. Within five years, 100 transplants had been performed with one of the nation's best survival rates. The program Lifeshare was launched to promote organ donation awareness.

1986

Heart Smart® services were introduced in restaurants and in grocery stores to promote heartwise diet and lifestyle choices. Heart Smart® was started by benefactor Sol Levine and Dr. Steven Keteyian, Director of the Levine Health Enhancement Center.

1987

Henry Ford Hospital performed the first valvuloplasty to unblock the valve to improve blood flow to the heart. The procedure was pioneered in France by Alain Cribier, M.D., at the University of Rouen. Dr. Cribier worked in tandem with Dr. Fareed Khaja on the operation at Henry Ford Hospital using a catheter threaded through the groin artery to unblock the valve.

1993

Dr. Paul Stein, Director of the Henry Ford Hospital Cardiovascular Research Laboratory and President of the American College of Chest Physicians, traveled to Washington, D.C., to discuss anti-smoking legislation, the health care reform agenda, and funding for the National Institutes of Health and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. He proposed a cigarette excise tax and a bill to reduce the tax deduction for tobacco advertising.

Henry Ford Hospital was selected to participate in a $10.2 million heart study as one of eight research institutions nationwide. The award was given by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Dr. Fareed Khaja, Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, was the principal investigator in the work.

1996

Dr. W. Douglas Weaver was appointed head of Cardiology.

The first successful transplant of the Acorn CorCap Cardiac Support Device was conducted at Henry Ford Hospital. The surgery was performed by cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Robert Brewer and the patient cared for by Dr. Barbara B. Czerska, Director of the Heart Failure Section at Henry Ford Hospital and the Heart and Vascular Institute.

1998

The Division of Cardiology received a $1 million endowment by Frank and Barbara Darin. Dr. W. Douglas Weaver was named the first holder of the chair.

2005

The Paul and Lynn Alandt Catheterization and Electrophysiology Center opened with the first electromagnetic navigation suite in Michigan.

2012

Dr. Henry Kim was appointed chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Frank and Barbara Darin Endowed Chair.

The Koslosky Family Endowed Chair was announced.

Dr. William O’Neill was appointed director of the new Center for Structural Heart Disease. He is internationally known as a leader in interventional cardiology, and in the research and treatment of heart disease. In 2005, he performed the first aortic valve replacement through a catheter in the United States.

A team of heart doctors at Henry Ford Hospital was the first in Michigan to perform the LARIAT® procedure, a new catheter-based procedure that limits the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation who cannot take blood-thinning medications. The Henry Ford team was led by Dr. Mayra Guerrero, director of the Structural Heart Disease Fellowship, and Dr. Claudio Schuger, director of the Cardiac Electrophysiology Service.

Doctors at Henry Ford Hospital are the first in Michigan to replace a patient’s heart valve a second time, implanting an artificial valve by threading it through an artery to take the place of a previous surgical implant. The new transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedure was led by Dr. William O’Neill, medical director of the Center for Structural Heart Disease at Henry Ford Hospital.

2013

Drs. William O’Neill and Adam Greenbaum performed a world-first cardiac transcaval procedure. This method threads a guided wire through a vein in the leg, travels throughout various passages to open the vein and artery to allow a catheter to connect and then to enter the heart to implant a new heart valve.

Henry Ford Hospital, under Dr. Gerald Koenig, is the first in Michigan to use stem cells to preserve heart muscle function after a recent heart attack. Bone marrow from the pelvic bone is processed to isolate stem cells and then infused into the blood vessel of the injured area of the heart through a catheter.