Highlights of the Program
Rotations and Subspecialty Services
- During the 1st year you will participate in the GI consultative service, the Hepatology/Transplant consultative service, and the Pancreaticobiliary consultative service. Outpatient participation in hepatology clinic, transplant clinic, and GI continuity clinic is part of the core longitudinal experience that begins in the 1st year.
- During the 2nd and 3rd year, in addition to the inpatient consultative services, you will participate in outpatient subspecialty clinics for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Pancreaticobiliary disease clinic, and a dedicated Motility rotation where you participate both in clinic and learn to read manometric studies. You will gain additional experience with reading video capsule endoscopies.
- During the outpatient rotations, there are opportunities to tailor your schedule to your interests, with engagement in elective rotations.
- Fellows will rotate at 2 main hospitals, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and our second largest facility, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital.
- Fellows perform diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy during all 3 years of their fellowship with growing proficiency and volumes as they advance through training.
- Endoscopic procedures are performed by all fellows, with advanced endoscopic procedures taught by highly skilled therapeutic staff.
- Fellows gain proficiency both through the high volume of endoscopic procedures performed and the focus on teaching from our clinical staff.
Didactics and Research
- During your fellowship you will have regular didactic sessions that include Clinical Updates, Journal Club, Morbidity and Mortality Conferences, Case Conferences, and Board review sessions.
- Fellows get the opportunity to participate in research projects as well as a Quality Improvement project during their training. We support attendance at national conferences and highly encourage presentation of research at a regional or national level.
- During their 1st year, fellows are given the opportunity to attend the ASGE First-year Fellows’ endoscopy course in August.
- We are very proud to offer our fellows participation in 2 CME courses offered through Henry Ford Gastroenterology. We offer a GI/Hepatology CME course in the Winter and a hands-on Advanced Endoscopy “Live in the D” symposium in the Spring annually.