Mission Statement and Aims
To become the premier Obstetrics & Gynecology residency program in Southeast Michigan recognized for training compassionate and competent general OB/GYN providers as well as an academically powerful program that facilitates matching residents into competitive fellowships. Our dual focus on community care and academics aligns with the mission of Henry Ford Hospital (HFH) committed to improving the lives of the people in our community through excellence in science and the art of healthcare and healing. We accomplish this with the strength of the Henry Ford Health System leveraged by our academic collaborations with Michigan State University. Our residents are trained in all aspects of professionalism (including wellness and prevention of fatigue and burn out) and patient safety/ quality improvement by working in inter-professional teams and through our robust Institutional Curriculum. Multiple initiatives educate and train our residents to combat healthcare disparities, implicit bias, and the impact of systemic racism on healthcare outcomes.
The Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program at Henry Ford Hospital (HFH) is a community-based program Located in the city of Detroit, we provide residents well-rounded training in all aspects of tertiary obstetrics and gynecology, including the appropriate balance between community-based practice and the academic rigor required of subspecialty care. Residents benefit from the positive impact of on-site fellowships in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Gynecologic Oncology (in partnership with WSU/Detroit Medical Center), and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery. This provides a robust gynecological surgical training experience. Our core strength is the diversity residents experience on a daily basis through our patient population, our provider population, the complexity and advanced pathology of the diseases our patients entrust us to manage, and the career pathways chosen by our residents upon graduation.
We strive to graduate Women's Health clinicians who:
- Are capable of the independent practice of obstetrics and gynecology and can provide expert consultation to non-obstetrician/gynecologist colleagues
- Deliver timely, appropriate, effective, empathetic, evidence-based, skillful and patient-centric care that exceeds the expectations of patients and peers
- Deliver culturally sensitive care tailored to patients' healthcare needs
- Work collaboratively and effectively in multidisciplinary and inter-professional teams
- Demonstrate the highest ethical and professional standards
- Embrace critical thinking and continuous self-improvement as a professional and personal responsibility