Applying to Our Program
Thank you for your interest in a PGY1 residency position in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Henry Ford Hospital. Our program participates in ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). Your Dean's office will inform you of the necessary steps and provide you with the hardware/software to prepare this application.
We suggest your USMLE Step 1 scores be over 215 and that you have passed all your steps on the first attempt. More robust scores do strengthen your application.
International medical graduates, US clinical experience is suggested. We prefer your date of graduation from medical school be no more than 3 years at the time of your application, unless you have completed a prior residency.
We do not offer any externships/observerships in our department.
Each year, our Department receives approximately 700 applications for the four PGY 1 positions in our program. Once we have received your completed ERAS file, your application will receive careful consideration.
What are the program’s screening criteria for consideration?
- MyERAS application
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae (CV generated through ERAS)
- USMLE Step I score. USMLE Step II scores must be available at time of interview
- If you are selected to interview, we do require that you have your clinical skills test scheduled by the time you arrive for your interview.
- For D.O. applicants, we require USMLE Step 1 and Step II scores.
- Medical school transcripts, including MSPE
- Three letters of recommendation are required in addition to the MSPE letter. One of these letters should be from the OB-GYN Chairman/or designee from your medical school. ERAS will accept up to four letters of recommendation.
NOTE - When listing publications, please make sure to include the PMID number
What is the status of your VISA sponsorship?
We do sponsor J1 visas, however we do not sponsor H1-B visas.
What is a typical interview day?
Two groups of applicants are interviewed with morning and afternoon sessions and share a luncheon with the residents and faculty. During the interview, faculty and residents on the selection committee will interview you. You will be given ample opportunity to ask questions and a tour of residency clinic and main hospital. We view the interview process as an opportunity for applicants to learn about the program.
A social evening for the applicants and residents is held on the night prior to the interview date to facilitate a more casual discussion about the residency.
Mid-October – Invitations to interview extended. If you wish to have your application reviewed for consideration, a completed application must be received by the start of business (9 AM – EST) by October 10.
November 1 – Application process closed; no consideration will be given to applications received after the deadline.
Interview Dates: (note: these are tentative)
- October 23, 2018
- November 2, 2018
- November 30, 2018
- Friday, December 4, 2018
- Friday, December 11, 2018