Henry Ford Allegiance Health’s rich 100-year history reflects an organization with community at the center of every decision. The hospital was built on land donated in 1915 by Jackson resident Ida Foote. Concerned about the overcrowded conditions at City Hospital, where her husband, W.A. Foote, was treated during his final illness, Mrs. Foote recognized the dire need for improvement and expansion.
Jackson’s newly built modern hospital opened its doors to patients in 1918, with a 100-bed capacity. In 1975, the hospital merged in ownership with Mercy Hospital, which had been operated by the Sisters of Mercy. Several years later, the two moved into one larger, more modern facility, which was completed in 1983.
The health system continued to grow in size and in the range of services offered. To signify its transformation from a small community hospital to a 420-bed health system with more than 40 locations throughout Jackson County and beyond, the name was changed in 2008 to Allegiance Health. Eight years later, a definitive agreement was finalized to bring the Jackson-based health system into Henry Ford Health System. Shared values and a strong community focus are the heart of this partnership.
Today, Henry Ford Allegiance Health is a 420-bed health system that complements traditional acute care services with primary and community-based care to support patients across the health continuum at every stage of life. With its network of primary care and specialty physicians, as well as a graduate medical education program, Henry Ford Allegiance Health has widely expanded local access to a range of services the growing patient population desires and deserves. The Hospital earned designation as a Level II Trauma Center and has achieved Magnet recognition for nursing care.
Henry Ford Allegiance Health is grateful for its heritage, proud of its history and excited for its future and all it will be able to provide its patients in the years to come.