Preparing for Liposuction
Before your liposuction
- Stock-up on any type of sports drink for after your surgery.
- Plan to drink at least 48 – 80 ounces (six to 10 eight-ounce glasses) of sports drink each day for 2- 3 days after your procedure.
- Prepare healthy meals ahead of time for the days following your surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing on the day of your surgery.
- Consult your doctor for more specific information on follow-up visits after surgery.
After your liposuction
When recovering from your surgery it is important to be aware of the following:
- You have received an anesthetic and may feel mildly sleepy and dizzy.
- Take pain medication as directed by your nurses and continue as directed for the next few days until the pain begins to subside.
- Apply ice packs to help control the pain.
- Do not take any aspirin or aspirin-containing products, including ibuprofen, as this increases the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Tylenol can be used when the pain has somewhat subsided.
- Limit your activity immediately following your surgery.
- We suggest that you get out of bed frequently and walk around the house.
- Shower two days after surgery.
- Remove your compression garment only to shower.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment, such as bacitracin or Polysporin®, on the incision before putting the compression garment back on.
Call your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room if you develop any unusual symptoms, such as:
- shaking chills and/or fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- excessive bleeding (more than slight oozing of blood)
- excessive pain
- excessive swelling