Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most common questions about veins and vein treatments.
What are the causes of varicose and spider veins?
There are many causes of varicose veins, including:
- Blood clots
- Medications for birth control or hormone replacement
- Previous vein surgery
- Postmenopausal hormonal replacement
- Work involving a lot of standing
Are there non-medical treatments for varicose and spider veins?
Yes, these include:
- Lifestyle changes like exercising, weight loss or a low-salt diet can help relieve symptoms.
- Support stockings can be found at most surgical supply stores or pharmacies and help to ease discomfort.
Can spider veins or varicose veins return?
Yes, spider veins or varicose veins may recur. You may require maintenance treatment.
What are the side effects of laser or injection therapy?
Side effects may include bruising, pigmentation changes at the site of treatment, skin changes and recurrence of the vessel. A one-year post treatment follow-up is recommended. However, you may call our office at any time with your concerns or for needed follow-up. Touch-up procedures may be needed on an annual basis or as recommenced to maintain your results.