What to Expect
When you need care for a gastrointestinal (GI) disorder, you want relief from symptoms that are disrupting your lifestyle. At Henry Ford Health System, we can help.
For inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), you can expect comprehensive care with a compassionate touch. Our experienced team is dedicated to helping you achieve your best possible health.
Highly trained specialists in gastroenterology
Our team of specialists brings together a wealth of experience from several fields to collaborate for your care. Our specialists, nurses and support staff include:
- Gastroenterologists (specialists in treating digestive disorders)
- Colorectal and GI surgeons
- Specialty-trained nurses
- Registered dietitians
- Behavioral health specialists
- Pain management specialists
Advanced technology for diagnosis
We specialize in the latest, most advanced screening and diagnostic tools. At the Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease at Henry Ford, we confirm a diagnosis of IBD with tests including:
- Blood and stool tests: Results of these tests can show evidence of infection, anemia, inflammation or malnutrition.
- Small bowel endoscopy: Our team uses this procedure to examine your small intestine with an endoscope (a thin, flexible tube with a lighted camera).
- Colonoscopy: This type of endoscopy allows your physician to see the lining of your colon to check for polyps (precancerous growths) to reduce your risk of colon cancer.
- Video capsule endoscopy: This procedure uses a tiny camera inside a pill-sized capsule to take pictures as it travels your digestive tract, allowing your physician to check for any abnormalities.
- CT and MR enterography: These imaging tests use ultrasounds (CT) or a magnetic field and radio waves (MR) to help our radiologists evaluate the inside of your intestine.
- Chromoendoscopy: This imaging test, administered through an endoscopy, uses dye to enhance the detection of precancerous cells.
Treatment for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) at Henry Ford
Once our team has established a diagnosis, we work with you in creating a treatment plan that best relieve your symptoms. Learn more about IBD conditions and treatments at Henry Ford.
Treatment solutions at Henry Ford include:
- Medications to reduce inflammation and immune response to allow the intestines to heal
- Nutritional counseling for healthy eating choices to reduce IBD symptoms
- Infusion Center where you can receive medications via IV (intravenous)
- Minimally invasive surgery including endoscopy, using an endoscope (thin, flexible tube with a lighted camera and micro instruments) to examine the intestines
- Robotic-assisted surgery that allows our surgeons to perform laparoscopic surgery (using a few small incisions and tiny instruments) with greater precision
- Access to research and clinical trials for the latest treatment therapies for IBD, before they are widely available