A Barium Enema is an x-ray exam of your rectum and colon. This test helps your doctor detect problems such as a blockage, a tumor, polyps or other disorders.
- A tube is inserted into your rectum.
- Your colon is filled with barium (a liquid that improves the x-ray images).
- You will be asked to move into different positions and hold your breath while x-rays are taken.
- Pressure may be applied to your belly to get the best images.
- The last x-ray will be taken after you go to the bathroom.
- The procedure takes about one hour.
- Bring a list of current medications.
- You will receive detailed preparation information at the time of scheduling or by mail.