This exam will allow for the imaging of parathyroid glands. These are small glands located in the neck.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment with an order/prescription if your doctor has given one to you.
- Bring a list of current medications.
- This is a two part exam.
- A nuclear medicine technologist will inject a small amount of radioactive material through the vein.
- After a 15 minute wait, you will lay on an imaging table with a gamma camera located over the neck.
- Imaging is required for up to 45 minutes.
- There will be a short break and then you will be returning for additional images that could take up to 45 minutes.
- Total time of the exam is 2 ½ to 4 hours.
After the procedure
- You must follow up with the ordering doctor.
- If you are pregnant or suspect you may be, contact your referring doctor.
- Tell the technologist if you are planning to travel out of the country.
- For Macomb patients: Please note that our Nuclear Medicine equipment has a table weight limit of 500 lbs.