Clinical Trials and Research for Heart Transplants
Through Henry Ford’s robust clinical trials and research program, you may have the opportunity to try new medical therapies or devices.
Some of these experimental treatments may support your heart as you wait for a transplant. Other therapies may help your body fight off infection and rejection following transplant surgery.
Cardiac clinical trials and research
At Henry Ford, we continually seek new ways to keep you stronger before a transplant or to provide alternative heart support. Our clinical trials and research accomplishments include:
- Among the first in the United States to implant the first-generation HeartMate® left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
- Achieved a higher clinical trial success rate than other national centers using the smaller, second-generation HeartMate® II VAD as a bridge to transplant option
- Participated in the ENDURANCE clinical trial comparing the effectiveness of the HeartWare® VAD with the HeartMate® II VAD for patients with advanced heart failure who need long-term device support for destination therapy
- One of only two programs in Michigan to participate in the HeartMate® III VAD clinical trial
- Among the first in the country to offer the initial FDA-approved LVAD placed near the heart sac, via participation in HeartWare® clinical trials
Learn more about our mechanical circulatory support.