Michigan HIV Consultation Program
The Michigan HIV Consultation Program has been established to answer questions from Michigan health care professionals regarding:
A study, which looked at babies born to 11,558 HIV-infected women in Botswana, showed that 0.9% of babies (4 of 426) whose mothers became pregnant while taking dolutegravir had a neural tube defect, compared with 0.1% of babies (14 of 11,173) whose mothers took other HIV medicines. These cases have not yet been fully investigated. Final results are expected in about a year.
“Neural tube defects are birth defects of the brain, spine, or spinal cord. They happen very early in pregnancy, often before a woman even knows that she is pregnant. The two most common neural tube defects are spina bifida and anencephaly.”
The question arises on whether this is a Integrase class effect or just confined to Dolutegravir. Raltegravir has been FDA approved since 2007 and we are unaware of similar risk. Bictegravir has only been recently approved and has limited data in pregnant women.
- HIV Disease Management:
- Advice on the diagnosis and management of HIV-infected patients, opportunistic diseases in HIV patients, selection and use of antiretroviral agents.
- HIV Drug-Drug Interactions:
- Advice on potential HIV antiretroviral drug interactions with other concomitant medications.
- HIV Occupational and Non-Occupational Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP/nPEP):
- Advice on the management of occupational and non-occupational exposure to biologic material potentially infected with HIV virus and hepatitis viruses.
- HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP):
- Advice on selection and management of persons who are candidates for pre-exposure prophylaxis to prevent the acquisition of HIV infection.
- Perinatal HIV treatment:
- Advice on prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection during the perinatal period.
Questions submitted via this site will be answered within 24-48 hours. For urgent questions a 24 hour consultation line is available, call (313) 575-0332
You will be emailed an evaluation shortly after our consultation. We request that you respond to this survey. Your response will help us improve our services.