Spiritual Care and Chapel
At Henry Ford Hospital, the physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs of all patients, family members, visitors, and staff are aided by our spiritual care staff. Our chaplains are trained members of patient care teams. To reach a chaplain please call, (313) 916-2860
Supporting all beliefs
Pastoral Care Staff respect all religious beliefs and offer support and comfort in light of a person's own faith experience. The Interfaith Chapel, located on the main floor of the hospital, is open daily for quiet prayer and meditation. Spiritual services for major faith traditions are posted outside the chapel.
Henry Ford Hospital Spiritual Care Services include:
- Participate in medical rounds and patient care conferences
- Offer perspective on the spiritual status of patients' participation in interdisciplinary education
- Design and lead religious ceremonies of worship and ritual
- Lead or participate in health care ethics programs by clarifying value issues with patients, family members, staff and the organization
- Facilitate end of life decisions
- Educate the health care team and families regarding the relationship of religious and spiritual issues to institutional services by interpreting and analyzing multi-faith and multi-cultural traditions as they affect clinical services
- Identify individuals whose religious/spiritual conflicts may compromise recovery or satisfactory adjustment
- Facilitate spiritual issues related to organ/tissue donation
- Help to resolve conflict among patients and family members
Volunteer spiritual care visitors
Volunteer spiritual care visitors are trained to assist the chaplains at Henry Ford Hospital. They are from a variety of faith traditions in the Detroit Metropolitan Community. Volunteers assist with visiting patients, initial spiritual needs assessment, personal and family prayer, distribution of religious and supportive materials, and referral of patients for additional spiritual care.
Spiritual services on patient education TV
Spiritual services for major faith traditions are available on patient education TV. In addition, nature meditations can be viewed on the Spiritual Care Channel. Ask for assistance in accessing the programs.
Visiting clergy community
Clergy are welcome to visit members of their own congregations who are patients at Henry Ford Hospital. Information about applying for a clergy parking card is available through the Spiritual Care Office.