- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Hand Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of California, San Francisco, CA, 1994
Residencies & Internships
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Orthopaedics, PA, 2000
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, General Surgery, PA, 1995
- Washington University, Hand Surgery, MO, 2002
- Executive Vice Chair, Orthopedic Service Line
- Chief, Orthopaedic Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Wayne State University
I look forward to the opportunity of serving the medical needs of the patients of southeast Michigan and providing them with enhanced access to high quality care for their hand, wrist and elbow treatment needs at the Henry Ford Health System.
Charles S. Day, MD, MBA, a nationally recognized expert in hand, wrist and elbow surgery with over 20 years of clinical experience, joined the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Henry Ford Health System. With his broad experience and expertise, the addition of Dr. Day will enhance patients' access for hand, wrist and elbow injuries and conditions.
Dr. Day serves as the Executive Vice Chair of the Henry Ford Health System Orthopedic Service Line, and the Chief of the Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. He is also a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Wayne State University School of Medicine. He previously served as the Chief of Orthopedic Hand and Upper Extremity at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center from 2016 to 2019 and 2005 to 2015, respectively in Boston, MA. He was an Associate Professor in Orthopedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School from 2009 to 2016.
Academics and Research
His clinical outcomes research over the last 20 years include sports related wrist ligament injuries, traumatic wrist and hand fractures, radiographic outcomes, pain evaluation, postoperative scarring, carpal tunnel syndrome, thumb arthritis and wrist/hand joint replacements.
He has been invited for numerous lectures, including, the Mayo clinic; Hospital of Special Surgery; Oxford University; Columbia; Barcelona, Spain; Lyon, France; Tokyo, Japan; Beijing, China and Australia.
Awards and Honors
- Leader, Post COVID-19 Orthopaedic Surgery Recovery Task Force (2020)
- Leader, Research Consortium on Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Orthopaedic Surgery (2020)
- Leader, Orthopaedic Hand Research Committee (2019 – 2020)
- Top Doctor, Boston Magazine (2011 – 2015)
- Co-Chair, ACGME Hand Surgery Fellowship Milestones Committee (2014)
Dr. Day is also a long standing member of the American Orthopaedic Association, American Society for Surgery of the Hand and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Publications and News
For patients looking for protocols, please send me a message via MyChart.
A Henry Ford Health System hand surgeon discusses why carpal tunnel syndrome can get on your nerve — and what to do about it.
A Henry Ford Health System hand and wrist surgeon discusses wrist injuries and when to seek help.
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital