Serious chest injuries and certain health conditions can create a tear in the aorta, the body’s main artery. An aortic dissection requires immediate attention from skilled surgeons with experience evaluating and treating this potentially life-threatening emergency.
Put your care in the hands of experienced vascular disease specialists at Henry Ford Health System. We offer the latest advancements in cardiac imaging, minimally invasive procedures and open surgery to repair aortic dissections and prevent complications.
Aortic dissection: Why choose Henry Ford?
We’re one of only two programs in southeast and south central Michigan dedicated to aortic disease. Our Multidisciplinary Aorta Program provides a level of care not found at other hospitals.
- Advanced training and experience: Henry Ford is one of the few centers in Michigan that can perform both minimally invasive procedures and open surgery for complex aortic dissections. Our board-certified vascular and cardiac specialists are skilled in quick evaluation to decide on the most appropriate treatment for your specific needs.
- Research innovations: Our vascular surgeons were among the first in Michigan to perform minimally invasive procedures for aortic disease. We specialize in reaching dissections in complex, delicate areas of the aorta. You receive care from surgeons active in research on repairs for the most challenging aortic dissections.
- Experts in emergency aortic surgery: Our team is available 24/7/365 to perform emergency surgery for aortic disease. Doctors across Michigan trust Henry Ford for exceptional care, sending their patients to our highly skilled surgeons.
- Combined experience from multiple specialties: Our vascular surgeons, vascular medicine specialists, cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and interventional radiologists meet regularly to discuss complex aortic cases. Cardiac and vascular surgeons work together during procedures for thoracic (upper aorta) dissections, when the aortic heart valve is involved.
- Convenient locations for follow-up care: You can access care at locations across southeast and south central Michigan. Our cardiologists and vascular medicine specialists provide ongoing management and monitoring to continue protecting your health.