Multidisciplinary aorta program: Why choose Henry Ford?
Aortic disease can affect blood vessels supplying major organs such as your brain and heart. Our Multidisciplinary Aorta Program offers care for a range of aortic disorders helping you avoid life-threatening complications. In fact, we are one of only two hospitals in southeast Michigan offering a team of experts and care program dedicated to aortic disease.
You can receive expert aorta disease care at clinics throughout southeastern Michigan. If your condition is more advanced, our team coordinates additional care and services with a team of specialists located at our downtown campus.
Highlights of our program include:
- Aortic disease specialists: Our team includes surgeons, doctors and nurses with specialized training in aortic disorders
- Comprehensive testing: We perform advanced diagnostic testing in our cardiovascular testing labs.
- Expert diagnosis: Our team of experts accurately diagnoses aortic conditions in their early stages.
- Advanced treatment: We offer both minimally invasive and open surgical procedures for our aortic disease treatments.
- Lifelong care: We provide long-term care for your condition in partnership with your cardiologist or primary care doctor.
Physicians from all over southeast Michigan trust the experts at Henry Ford to care for their patients’ aortic conditions. If your physician refers you to us, we can see you in one of our clinics the next day. We also accept transfers of aortic emergencies from other hospitals 24 hours a day.
Expert care for aortic conditions at Henry Ford
Your aorta is the largest artery in your body, sending blood away from the heart to the rest of your body. When affected by diseases such as abdominal aortic aneurysm, you aorta is at risk for:
- Dilating: Also known as an aneurysm, excess force on the walls of your aorta cause it to widen or “balloon”. This makes your heart work harder to move blood through your body. Over time, this extra force may weaken your aorta.
- Splitting or rupturing: This is a true medical emergency. Also known as dissection, this condition reduces or cuts off the supply of blood, oxygen and nutrients to your organs.
Some people don’t experience symptoms until they are at risk for life-threatening complications. Our team of specialists delivers treatments and manages your condition to lower these risks. Henry Ford’s Multidisciplinary Aorta Program treats an array of conditions, including:
- Aortic-related connective tissue disorders such as Marfan’s syndrome
- Aortic intramural hematoma
- Atherosclerotic disease of the aorta
- Coarctation of the aorta in adults
- Congenital (inherited) aortic conditions
- Inflammation of aorta
- Pseudo aneurysms of the aortic root, ascending aorta, aortic arch and descending aorta
Learn more about aortic disease diagnosis and aortic disease treatments available at Henry Ford.