We give patients access to the top surgeons and the most advanced science-based technologies and treatments.
Choosing Your Treatment Team and Plan
You deserve the highest level of breast cancer care.
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, you have many choices to make regarding your care. Some of the most important ones involve your cancer treatment and the breast cancer experts who provide that treatment.
We offer advanced treatment for each patient who comes through our doors following a diagnosis of breast cancer.
- We employ surgeons on our team who are fellowship-trained in in breast cancer surgery, which means they have received specialized instruction in the surgical care of patients with breast cancer beyond the requirements of general cancer surgery. This is different than some health systems, whose breast cancer teams include surgeons without this specialized training.
- Our doctors discuss each patient’s case at our regular tumor boards. During these meetings, the team offers suggestions for treatment, including whether a patient may be a good candidate for one of our clinical trials. Unlike some systems, whose tumor boards are reserved for unusual cases, our approach ensures each patient receives the benefit of our entire team’s vast experience with breast cancer.
- Following your breast cancer diagnosis, you’ll meet with all of the team members who will be directly involved with your care during a single appointment. This will give you the opportunity to get answers to your questions, learn our recommendations for your treatment plan and make important choices alongside your care team.
- Breast reconstruction surgery is one important aspect of breast cancer treatment that is often overlooked at other centers. Our team includes experts in microvascular reconstruction (also known as free-flap reconstruction), which is uncommon among breast cancer centers. We bring these experts in early during your treatment planning process so you know the options available and can make the right decision for you.
How we meet your needs
Through it all, we remember that the most important member of your breast cancer care team is you.
- We will work to address your unique concerns throughout the treatment process and beyond, such as how your treatment may affect your personal and professional responsibilities.
- If you have a personal preference for a breast cancer doctor based on the recommendation of a loved one or because of their experience, we will work to accommodate your request. We also work to help you choose a provider who fits your unique needs.
- You’ll be paired with a dedicated nurse navigator, who will help guide you through your breast cancer journey, facilitating your medical appointments and answering any questions you may have.
- If needed, the nurse navigator can also refer you to one of our social workers. These experts work exclusively with cancer patients and can help you address challenges relating to your care so you and your care team can focus on treating your breast cancer. Learn more about dealing with life challenges during your breast cancer care.
We want to ensure each patient receives the care they deserve for breast cancer. That’s why we’ve put together a checklist to help you choose the best team for your care. Use it when you consult with your breast cancer care team. If you don’t have the team and plan you need for your breast cancer, consider seeking a second opinion at the Henry Ford Breast Cancer Program.