Aortic Disease Diagnosis
At Henry Ford’s Multidisciplinary Aorta Program, our experts specialize in performing comprehensive exams and advanced imaging studies. Our goal is accurately diagnose your condition as quickly as possible.
Expert aortic disease diagnosis at Henry Ford
Aortic aneurysms are often discovered during routine exams, or while you are receiving care for another condition. But don’t worry, not all aneurysms are life threatening. Some people come to our Multidisciplinary Aorta Program because they have a genetic condition or other medical conditions that put them at greater risk for aortic disease.
When you come to the Aorta Program, we perform comprehensive evaluation to learn more about your condition and how best to treat it. Here’s what to expect on your first visit:
- A comprehensive physical exam
- Detailed questions about your health history, including information about other medical conditions you may have, your family and lifestyle factors that can affect your condition
- Evaluation and testing by a medical geneticist if you have an inherited (congenital) form of aortic disease
- Comprehensive review of previous imaging studies
- Consultation with one of our surgeons (if your condition is complex)
- Referral for additional imaging studies
Advanced diagnostic testing for aortic disease
At Henry Ford, we offer comprehensive aortic disease testing in our dedicated cardiovascular testing labs. We use advanced imaging technology for the most detailed images possible of your heart and surrounding structures. Our team also includes interventional radiologists who specialize in cardiovascular imaging.
We may perform one or more imaging tests to pinpoint the size, location and growth rate of aortic disorders:
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA)
Aortic disease specialists at Henry Ford
Part of what makes the Aorta Program at Henry Ford unique is our team of specialists. “Multidisciplinary” means that experts from a variety of highly skilled specialties, each with experience treating different aspects of aortic disease, work together to care for your condition.
Our team includes:
- Cardiac anesthesiologists
- Cardiac imaging specialists
- Cardiac surgeons
- Interventional cardiologists
- Interventional radiologists
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Social workers
- Vascular surgeons
You may visit with just a few members of our team, but we all contribute to your care. We get together on a monthly basis to discuss complex cases. These meetings help us determine the best treatments and expertly coordinate their delivery.