If you provide care for a loved one – parent, child, spouse, relative, neighbor or friend – join fellow caregivers and care giving...
Colorectal Cancer Program
Michigan’s most advanced care for colon and rectal cancers.
Colorectal cancer is a frequent diagnosis — more than 150,000 new cases are identified in the U.S. each year. Though common, these cancers of the colon or rectum can be aggressive and difficult for patients and families to talk about.
You deserve compassionate care from specialists who understand what you’re going through. At Henry Ford, we make your experience as comfortable as possible. Our goal is to provide the support, education and treatment you need to recover and get back to your life.
What is colorectal cancer?
Colorectal cancer is a collective name for cancers of the colon or rectum, the final two sections of the digestive tract. Most colorectal cancers start as growths called polyps, which screening tests can find. Colorectal cancer symptoms can be similar to symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders such as hemorrhoids or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Colorectal cancer may spread to nearby or distant parts of the body. That’s why it’s important to find the cancer at an early stage, when treatment is more effective and less invasive. Learn more about our colorectal cancer care:
- Colon cancer risks and symptoms
- Rectal cancer risks and symptoms
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Colorectal cancer diagnosis
- Colorectal cancer treatment
- What to expect from colorectal cancer care at Henry Ford
Why should I choose Henry Ford for colorectal cancer care?
It’s easy to find top care close to home. Patients come to Henry Ford from across the region for our precise diagnosis and advanced treatments. Our team treats patients referred from many other cancer centers.
While we offer several locations for colorectal cancer care, all of our doctors and nurses work from the same plan, created for your individual needs. You can rest assured that we’re all on the same page. Our team approach to colorectal cancer care includes:
- Experienced doctors: Our colorectal cancer specialists form the most experienced team in Michigan. All of our colorectal cancer physicians are board-certified, and our surgeons are fellowship-trained in colorectal surgery. Find a colon cancer specialist or a rectal cancer specialist.
- Specialized tumor board: Henry Ford specialists in surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, nursing and other disciplines work together to evaluate each patient’s case and treatment options. Learn more about tumor boards.
- Personalized care: Our colorectal cancer specialists design treatments around you — the specific type of cancer you have, as well as your needs, overall health, age and lifestyle. If we suspect colorectal cancer runs in your family, our Cancer Genetics Program can provide genetic testing and counseling.
- Latest treatments: Our specialists have extensive training in minimally invasive procedures that promote faster healing and recovery. Our advanced radiation technology targets cancer more precisely and includes stereotactic body radiation (SBRT). We also offer access to clinical trials that test new therapies not yet widely available. Our team is paving the way for new treatments with research on personalized gene therapy.
- Dedicated nurse navigators: Our navigators help you schedule appointments and manage your care.
- Full support: We provide a full range of colorectal cancer support services, including a clinic for ostomy care. We help you adjust if you need a temporary or permanent ostomy.