Cardiovascular Hybrid Operating Room
At the Heart & Vascular Institute, we make it easy for you to get the care you need. We are one of few programs in Michigan with a hybrid operating room. Here our cardiac surgeons work side by side with interventional cardiologists and radiologists delivering comprehensive surgical treatments.
Henry Ford Hospital: Cardiovascular hybrid operating suite
Since 2008, the experts at the Henry Ford Heart & Vascular Institute have been delivering advanced treatments for even the most complex forms of heart and vascular disease in our hybrid operating room (OR). This sophisticated surgical suite blends traditional operating room capabilities with the best available endovascular tools and imaging technology.
- Three-dimensional (3D) display: With the help of large flat projection screens, special lighting and polarized glasses, we produce 3D images of your heart and vascular structures to help guide you procedure.
- Real time imaging: Using advanced techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and special x-ray technology (fluoroscopy), we create real time, magnified images of your heart and vascular structures.
- daVinci® Robotic System: We carry out your procedure using robotic “arms” inserted through tiny incisions in your chest. Advanced robotic technology translates our specially trained surgeon’s precise movements. Learn more about robotic surgery.
- Cardiac catheterization tools: This minimally invasive approach uses catheters (thin spaghetti-like tubes) to access and treat blocked blood vessels. Learn more about the full range of catheterization services available in our cardiac catheterization lab.
Advanced cardiac surgery in southeastern Michigan
What makes the hybrid OR special is that it makes it possible for large teams of specialists to work together seamlessly. This helps us deliver advanced treatments safely and effectively:
- Radiologists and technicians produce high definition images of your heart and surrounding structures. These images help us pinpoint the source of your symptoms and apply treatments with great precision.
- The special equipment in the hybrid OR means we can deliver different types of treatment in the same procedure. For example, you can receive a coronary artery bypass graft (open surgical procedure) followed by a catheter-based procedure to strengthen a nearby blood vessel with a stent.
- Traditional operating room capabilities allow us to safely transition a minimally invasive procedure to an open procedure if needed.
Treatments available in the hybrid OR include:
- Abdominal and thoracic aneurysm stent grafts
- Aortic valve surgery
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement